Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: need recline switch for my wheelchair

Help: need recline switch for my wheelchair

I have the power reclaiming back on my Permobil and need a quad friendly switch for returning to the upright position. I cannot reach the joystick when on my back. I have the auxiliary toggle switches mounted to the end of the armrest. In the past the toggles were made of hard plastic and worked great. My new Permobil C500 came with power legrests, seat elevator, tilt, and recline. Unfortunately, it also came with the new style soft plastic toggle switches making it all but impossible for me to operate the back system. I cannot differentiate between toggles. According to my local Permobil representative, the company no longer offers the hard plastic switch.

I am a C5/6 quad and was wondering what other people are using. I have no sensation in my hands and no triceps. I love the ability to stretch out nearly flat on my back but I hate getting stuck in that position.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    I have the power reclaiming back on my Permobil and need a quad friendly switch for returning to the upright position. I cannot reach the joystick when on my back. I have the auxiliary toggle switches mounted to the end of the armrest. In the past the toggles were made of hard plastic and worked great. My new Permobil C500 came with power legrests, seat elevator, tilt, and recline. Unfortunately, it also came with the new style soft plastic toggle switches making it all but impossible for me to operate the back system. I cannot differentiate between toggles. According to my local Permobil representative, the company no longer offers the hard plastic switch.

I am a C5/6 quad and was wondering what other people are using. I have no sensation in my hands and no triceps. I love the ability to stretch out nearly flat on my back but I hate getting stuck in that position.

Thank you
    Without a picture, I'm having a little trouble visualizing your set up. Here is mine on a Permobil M300.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you tilt using the joystick (going through the mode selection) it might be easier to sit up by pushing the joystick forward instead of the soft toggles
    C5 as of 6-13- 2010

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Without a picture, I'm having a little trouble visualizing your set up. Here is mine on a Permobil M300.
    The toggles on your Permobil are the same as mine. I have the switches mounted below my elbow at the rear end of the armrest. This allows me to easily reach them but the material is so soft that it feels like one big switch, I can not judge where to press my knuckle.

My hope is that other manufacturer still offers the hard plastic model.

Quote Originally Posted by iburkhart13 View Post
    If you tilt using the joystick (going through the mode selection) it might be easier to sit up by pushing the joystick forward instead of the soft toggles
    Combining tilt and reclining allows me to fully offload my butt. This positions me on my back and I can no longer reach the joystick.

I will try and upload a picture later.

If you can push buttons, Permobil does offer round buttons instead of the toggles, but they do have to be pressed down.

Do you have the swing away swivel on your joystick module that allows you to get closer to a desk or table. If so, I would think you could swing the joystick in toward your body or out to the side and that would get the joystick closer to you.
    Last edited by gjnl; 02-01-2018 at 01:54 PM.

It wouldn't look beautiful, but you could possibly get someone to use thermoplastic beads or sugru to build the buttons up to be more solid for you?

My understanding from talking to my own permobil rep and looking at the parts guide is that the soft buttons and the soft toggles are the only options. If the old hard ones fit your current chair, you might be able to buy old parts on ebay?

Permobil also offers something called an "Alternative Switch Box", with monojacks, so you can plug in different kinds of ability switches. Ask your provider, or Permobil rep.

I just became aware of another possibility-on newer models of the joystick gjnl posted above, the buttons around the display can be programmed as seat functions, and, one of the monojacks on the bottom, can also be programmed to operate a seat function-then you can use whatever switch you want, and position it wherever you need it.
    I can't tell you exactly how, (I think it is magic), but seriously, it can be done-your provider, should be able to do it. they can call Permobil, if they don't know how.