Thread: Employer Insurance and SSDI income limits

Employer Insurance and SSDI income limits

How does employer insurance factor into the wage limits for SSDI? Does that count as income? If employer lazy part of all of your insurance, does that count against your earning potential? How would they put the $ amount on it unless the employer gives it to you?

Blog Entries
    Are you talking about long term disability insurance income from an employer sponsored pre-tax premium plan? For SSDI it doesn't factor at all for the monthly wage limits. Most LTDI policies will, however, deduct your SSDI amount from the benefit they pay. It is also different if you paid the premiums yourself with post-tax dollars (they typically don't deduct SSDI and the tax implications are much better.)
    "Live your life in such a way that the fear of death can never enter your heart." -Tecumseh.

A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Are you talking about long term disability insurance income from an employer sponsored pre-tax premium plan? For SSDI it doesn't factor at all for the monthly wage limits. Most LTDI policies will, however, deduct your SSDI amount from the benefit they pay. It is also different if you paid the premiums yourself with post-tax dollars (they typically don't deduct SSDI and the tax implications are much better.)
    I should have clarified that i was speaking about health insurance. Thanks!

No, health insurance benefits do not count as income.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I was wondering this also. So are you saying that say I have to pay $140 every two weeks for health benefits so that amount doesn’t count towards my income even though I made that money ?

I think it is that if you get health insurance from your employer and they pay for some or all of it, that doesn’t count against your income restrictions for SGA or SSDI.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeramie630 View Post
    I was wondering this also. So are you saying that say I have to pay $140 every two weeks for health benefits so that amount doesn?t count towards my income even though I made that money ?
    No. The portion your employer pays of the premium doesn't count as income. Money you earn, then use to pay your premium contribution amount, IS income. What you're paying is typically a fraction on the total cost of the plan, the remainder of which your employer provides as a "benefit". This benefit amount is not considered income.
    "Live your life in such a way that the fear of death can never enter your heart." -Tecumseh.

A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

In ok that’s whst I figured