Thread: How did recovery occur post 6 months

How did recovery occur post 6 months

to those that are incomplete how did your recovery slow down after 6 months, did you continue to see functional gains after 6 months, maybe even to the point of walking?

I'm 6 months post and concerned about my recovery progress and wether my odds of walking again are strong or not

Here are my motor scores https://imgur.com/a/YbWDB

I have at least some movement all across my body, my right side is far stronger but overall my muscles are weak, I have sensation throughout my body.

I'm able to do a few bridges about a 1 inch or so off of a mat, and I can stand in the zero g body weight support system at about 50% of my weight in PT
    Last edited by Matt LLA; 01-30-2018 at 09:56 PM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by Matt LLA View Post
    to those that are incomplete how did your recovery slow down after 6 months, did you continue to see functional gains after 6 months, maybe even to the point of walking?

I'm 6 months post and concerned about my recovery progress and wether my odds of walking again are strong or not
    I'm incomplete, and got some recovery back, after six months, but everyone is different. How did your x-rays look? What can you move now. There's really no way of knowing what you will get back, sorry.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Hey what's going on Matt

I am a c5-c7 quadriplegic that is incomplete, I have regained the ability to walk full time again, my recovery did not slow down after six months, I didn't start to walk until my 3.5 years post, it wasn't that good then but by the 4.5 years post I was starting to walk much better, now I'm 6 years post I walk unaided, I swim, I lift weights, I even gained back bowel and bladder as well as sexual function, my doctor who told me that after 2 years post I would of plateau but now he said that it is a miracle how I healed, the only thing that I can't do is run yet, I can walk very fast, one last thing I drive with no hand controls. I truly believe that God has healed me, with out God I would not be where I am today.

My 2.5 year old is two year post Injury, in December we started seeing him move his legs in stepping motion on the treadmill, he takes a few steps then I do a few steps for him. This is totally new and just started one day after an intense month of locomotor training.

sorry, my replies haven't been posting

Thumbs up That is amazing MomNoah!!

Quote Originally Posted by MomNoah View Post
    My 2.5 year old is two year post Injury, in December we started seeing him move his legs in stepping motion on the treadmill, he takes a few steps then I do a few steps for him. This is totally new and just started one day after an intense month of locomotor training.

That is truly amazing! At that young of age your son will make a remarkable recovery, I love to hear stories like this, I will also pray for your loving son that he makes a full recovery because God can heal, please just have faith, nothing is impossible with God, especially the impossible.
    Keep up the great job.

john k

Hi
    I am a walker and at 6 months was just emerging from a wheel chair onto crutches. 8 years on, the improvement continues, maybe no so fast. At the 6 month point, one of my legs was very doubtful and I was very concerned and asking your same question.

You wilL probably have a routine of exercises to do. I found I reached a plateau after a few months and had to move on to a new type of exercise to get a gain. But the most hopeful sign is to get a slight movement of the weakest muscle and then you can build on that.

I had zero glutes and zero calf inner at 1 year. The glutes recovered, I have about 35% bulk now, 8 years on. More importantly, my zeRo calf remained at zero until about 3 months ago when I manage to 're activate it using an experimental electro stimulation system. Also important to say that a comment I heard from some physios was the muscle system might never recover to itS best pitential without the right physio. In other words a compensatory gait might evolve and with correction, dormant muscles might near spark into life again.

Fatigue of recovering muscles is also important to know about, meaning that over exercise of muscles enjoying their early recovery can be hampered by over exercise....at least this is my belief....that going slow and waiting and trying different approaches seems to be a worthwhile strategy. The time scales seems to vary widely and in my case with muscles dormant fir 7 years plus, one has to ask the question was it spinal recovery or finding the correct therapeutic method. Hard to say.

Non voluntary rectal muscles did also improve, slowly. If its any consolation, you don't absolutely need a box full of the latest gizmos to get improvement but they can help a bit, seems to me that their value can be in training the patient to conduct exercises correctly rather than the direct passive result of using various tools.

Hope this helps a bit. I also work and wish I had more time to work on rehab so if you are laid up now, you might use the opportunity as best you can to do what rehab you can and familiarise with methods you can.
    Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Oconnor View Post
    Hi
    I am a walker and at 6 months was just emerging from a wheel chair onto crutches. 8 years on, the improvement continues, maybe no so fast. At the 6 month point, one of my legs was very doubtful and I was very concerned and asking your same question.

You wilL probably have a routine of exercises to do. I found I reached a plateau after a few months and had to move on to a new type of exercise to get a gain. But the most hopeful sign is to get a slight movement of the weakest muscle and then you can build on that.

I had zero glutes and zero calf inner at 1 year. The glutes recovered, I have about 35% bulk now, 8 years on. More importantly, my zeRo calf remained at zero until about 3 months ago when I manage to 're activate it using an experimental electro stimulation system. Also important to say that a comment I heard from some physios was the muscle system might never recover to itS best pitential without the right physio. In other words a compensatory gait might evolve and with correction, dormant muscles might near spark into life again.

Fatigue of recovering muscles is also important to know about, meaning that over exercise of muscles enjoying their early recovery can be hampered by over exercise....at least this is my belief....that going slow and waiting and trying different approaches seems to be a worthwhile strategy. The time scales seems to vary widely and in my case with muscles dormant fir 7 years plus, one has to ask the question was it spinal recovery or finding the correct therapeutic method. Hard to say.

Non voluntary rectal muscles did also improve, slowly. If its any consolation, you don't absolutely need a box full of the latest gizmos to get improvement but they can help a bit, seems to me that their value can be in training the patient to conduct exercises correctly rather than the direct passive result of using various tools.

Hope this helps a bit. I also work and wish I had more time to work on rehab so if you are laid up now, you might use the opportunity as best you can to do what rehab you can and familiarise with methods you can.
    Best wishes.
    Hey what's going on Oconnor, glad to hear that your working, may I ask what type of work you do now, going back work is the only I haven't done yet. God Bless

john k