Thread: AS some predicted...armrests cracked

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

AS some predicted...armrests cracked

Just one year and one month old and the fabric on the right armrest on my Permobil M300 has cracked! Not a happy camper.

I'm not excited to have to spring for replacement of the same armrests, jut to have one, the other or both crack in a year.

What are the alternatives, either from Permobil or after market?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gjnl; 01-28-2018 at 04:49 PM.

I buy heavy duty shrink tube off eBay and recover mine. The shrink tube I used was the type that's used for electric cable splices. It's 3" diameter and sold buy the foot on eBay.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not sure how that solution with work on the armrest I have. I posted a picture of the armrest above.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not sure how that solution with work on the armrest I have. I posted a picture of the armrest above.
    A shot of underneath would actually be more helpful to determine if my suggestion would be a worthwhile endeavor for your situation.

You might look at the Gel Ovations Permobil slipcovers line.

Cheaper than that is to buy gel slipcovers for office chair arms (on Amazon) and stretch them to fit.

There are various mounted foam troughs but heat/wrinkles/rolling/pressure can be issues. So if you are using the arm rests as more of a shelf than a shell, the gel overlay notion is worth considering.

Cheap junk if they crack after 1 year.

Last edited by Mike_Stan; 02-16-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan View Post

Cheap junk if they crack after 1 year.
    Yesterday I went to the lab for a blood test. The chairs that they use have a couple armrests made of naugahyde and the pads were cracked on every chair I saw. Maybe an inherent flaw in naugahyde fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Never had the issue...1 year plus m300, 2.5 years F3.

Should be a simple insurance replacement.

To bad you cant come down to LA this week Permobil has a "garage" where they can replace those free and you can voice the concerns to the Permobil leadership too!

https://www.abilities.com/losangeles/

Gel ovation us nice for after market.
    My durable medical equipment supplier says he sees a lot of cracked armrests on every brand of chair he sells.

Medicare would not replace the armrest pad. It seems they have replacement policies for various parts of the chair, and it was too soon for the armrest pads to be replaced.

I contacted my durable medical equipment supplier and at the same time contacted Permobil. Permobil sent the part to my supplier and a technician from my supplier came to my house and replaced the pad. NL quips there are no 15 minute jobs, every fix it project usually takes twice as long as you expect...except in this case. The technician was in and out of my house in about 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    A shot of underneath would actually be more helpful to determine if my suggestion would be a worthwhile endeavor for your situation.
    Here is a picture of the armrest pad top and underneath.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gjnl; 02-17-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Just one year and one month old and the fabric on the right armrest on my Permobil M300 has cracked! Not a happy camper.

I'm not excited to have to spring for replacement of the same armrests, jut to have one, the other or both crack in a year.

What are the alternatives, either from Permobil or after market?
    Never had the issue...1 year plus m300, 2.5 years F3.

Should be a simple insurance replacement.

To bad you cant come down to LA this week Permobil has a "garage" where they can replace those free and you can voice the concerns to the Permobil leadership too!

https://www.abilities.com/losangeles/

Gel ovation us nice for after market.

Couple things-Permobil does offer a fabric covered armpad.
    I have no idea if it would be better for you, or not, but worth looking at.
    There are also gel pads, that have a fabric cover, that might work.
    Over the years, I have noticed that the vinyl seems to hold up better for some people, than others.
    I've found this to be true, regardless of wheelchair brand-and I have worked on every major brand, for many years.
    I notice the cracking seems to be in those areas most in contact with skin-and that leads me to think it might be a chemical reaction between skin oil, and the vinyl.
    I'm not a chemist, but the vinyl is organic as is skin oil.
    You might try using one of the products made to protect auto upholstery, to preserve your new pads.