Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Manhattan, anybody lived there?

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    In my prior life I managed residential real estate all over manhattan for the better of 20 yrs consisting of thousands of apartments from pre-war walk-ups to 68 sty glass towers, including everything in between. It's ground zero (no pun) for certain segments of society that want to connect with the like-minded, so it's good for them. It's also good for those seeking to work all but maybe 8-10 hrs a day, immersing yourself in your profession. I worked there long enough dealing with tenants and the issues they face that I didn't mind the 90 minute commute in order to get the hell out of Dodge each day, but then I was doing the family/Home Depot lifestyle at the time. I worshiped my little patch of green when I finally get home, but if I was single I'd might feel different. If you enjoy the rat-race, paying exorbitant rent for shoe-boxes, and getting lost in crowds crossing the street at waist-high level (rush hour crowds will literally spin you in circles). In your case you'd have to reside within vicinity of your office. If you can afford a full service building, preferably newer with wider bathrooms you'd be much better off.
    I'm single with no family to drag along and I've been a couple times though never in a chair, so I feel like I can deal with the crowds.

    Ideally I'd like to live relatively close to my job, but that's relative, I don't mind a bit of a commute. I figure anything under 2 miles or so I'd just go via wheelchair unless the weather was particularly nasty, and like I said, even if I absolutely had to take a cab/uber everywhere, I could swing it. I don't think I'd be getting into the rat-race mindset because I'd more than likely be out of there in a year or two unless I absolutely loved it.

    And I would expect to pay 3-4k for a decent studio apartment in an accessible building with an elevator, I'm used to living in relatively small spaces (one might even say shoebox-like). Until a few months ago when I moved into my current 600 square foot apartment the largest apartment I'd lived in during my 9 years post injury was 400 square feet and the first apartment I lived in was about 250 square feet. As long as I can get in the bathroom and close the door I'm good to go. I recognize it would be a pain in the ass to find an apartment, but once I found one I'd be done, if I had to move out for any reason I'd just quit my job and leave the city.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Tim C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    1,874
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I'm single with no family to drag along and I've been a couple times though never in a chair, so I feel like I can deal with the crowds.

    Ideally I'd like to live relatively close to my job, but that's relative, I don't mind a bit of a commute. I figure anything under 2 miles or so I'd just go via wheelchair unless the weather was particularly nasty, and like I said, even if I absolutely had to take a cab/uber everywhere, I could swing it. I don't think I'd be getting into the rat-race mindset because I'd more than likely be out of there in a year or two unless I absolutely loved it.

    And I would expect to pay 3-4k for a decent studio apartment in an accessible building with an elevator, I'm used to living in relatively small spaces (one might even say shoebox-like). Until a few months ago when I moved into my current 600 square foot apartment the largest apartment I'd lived in during my 9 years post injury was 400 square feet and the first apartment I lived in was about 250 square feet. As long as I can get in the bathroom and close the door I'm good to go. I recognize it would be a pain in the ass to find an apartment, but once I found one I'd be done, if I had to move out for any reason I'd just quit my job and leave the city.
    In that case go for it, get a 12 mo lease but don't pay fees, it's the shoebox capital of the world.

  3. #13
    Your going to need 6k + a month to live if your paying 4k for rent. I'm curious, what profession has a starting salary of 75K. Personally I would hate to live in NYC, I'd find a job somewhere with 1k a month rent and put the other 3k in some type of retirement plan. I don't enjoy looking at assholes and elbows. Give me some wide open spaces.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Your going to need 6k + a month to live if your paying 4k for rent. I'm curious, what profession has a starting salary of 75K. Personally I would hate to live in NYC, I'd find a job somewhere with 1k a month rent and put the other 3k in some type of retirement plan. I don't enjoy looking at assholes and elbows. Give me some wide open spaces.
    Right, I plan on 6-8k living expenses, after taxq. If I was going to be making 75k before taxes I wouldn't even think about trying to live there, that's like $4000 a month after tax, especially being an out-of-towner who's not willing to live with a roommate who needs a wheelchair accessible building that would be practically impossible. I have a professional degree, and after I finish my four years of training I expect to be well into the six figure salary range.

    For myself I would never plan on retirement. Currently while I'm finishing my training I'm making a salary and some 3% of it is going into a retirement fund (that I gather I can't really touch until I'm 65 or so), I pretty much chalk that money up to being another tax, I'll never see 65 (which is only slightly less than 30 years in my future), and I'll certainly never see any 401k money put in such an account. Putting 3k a month in a retirement fund is as anathema to me as I gather blowing that same amount of money on rent for a studio apartment is to you (and I can certainly appreciate your perspective).

    Obviously you think i'm vastly underestimating the costs of living in one of the most expensive and inaccessible cities in the world, but I assure you I am not. I'm just pondering on living there for kicks and giggles and "life experience" for a year or so because I'm 100% sure I can do so financially (as long as I remain lonely and single).

    If you're into elbows, that's just weird, but personally I don't mind looking at the assholes as long as a fair few of them are reasonably attractive...

  5. #15
    Well I have a professional degree also but my starting salary was 25k (1983). An attorney starts @ 90k now a days, but if you don't want to say what your profession is, that's fine. I'm not sure why you don't think you'll make 65, I'm a C5/6 and I made it. I didn't think I would in 1977 when I broke my neck, but here I am. And I've done enough drinking, smoking and drugs to kill a whole herd of horses. I'm retired now and I'm bored stiff. Anyway good luck.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Well I have a professional degree also but my starting salary was 25k (1983). An attorney starts @ 90k now a days, but if you don't want to say what your profession is, that's fine. I'm not sure why you don't think you'll make 65, I'm a C5/6 and I made it. I didn't think I would in 1977 when I broke my neck, but here I am. And I've done enough drinking, smoking and drugs to kill a whole herd of horses. I'm retired now and I'm bored stiff. Anyway good luck.
    Maybe a better way of putting it is I can't envision still being alive at 65. If it happens by accident it will be purely by virtue of something not killing me by then and I plan to live a reasonably dangerous life as I probably place a much lower value on continuing to breathe than most other folks do (which probably has something to do with why I tried to fly a motorcycle off a 40 foot sand dune and ended up landing in a wheelchair). So I guess it's better to say I don't plan to live to 65 and if I make it there and I'm dead broke and homeless I'm also okay with that as long as I spent my time living a somewhat interesting life in between.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,456
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have heard that for many, the appeal of longevity increases with age.

  8. #18
    United Spinal Association offers a free monthly magazine, New Mobility. The latest issue has at least two great articles about postSCI people and resources in Manhattan and Brooklyn...it looks like they're thriving up there: http://www.newmobility.com/2018/01/2...amin-elegudin/
    http://www.newmobility.com/2018/01/a...ogram-expands/
    Funklab, I'm turning 62 soon and had my SCI at age 14. Don't underestimate your possibilities for the future, there's a lot to enjoy if you cultivate your creativity.
    Read the article about Yannick Benjamin and Alex Elegudin and the rest of the New York Wheeling Forward group and enjoy some new perspectives.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashbang View Post
    United Spinal Association offers a free monthly magazine, New Mobility. The latest issue has at least two great articles about postSCI people and resources in Manhattan and Brooklyn...it looks like they're thriving up there: http://www.newmobility.com/2018/01/2...amin-elegudin/
    http://www.newmobility.com/2018/01/a...ogram-expands/
    Read the article about Yannick Benjamin and Alex Elegudin and the rest of the New York Wheeling Forward group and enjoy some new perspectives.
    I know both Yannick and Alex from my years in NYC. Yannick is a beast. Not sure where he's living now, but he would wheel himself from the Bronx into lower Manhattan where he works. He also climbs stairs in his wheelchair in the subway (not recommended).

    Quote Originally Posted by Crashbang View Post
    Funklab, I'm turning 62 soon and had my SCI at age 14. Don't underestimate your possibilities for the future, there's a lot to enjoy if you cultivate your creativity.
    You're scaring the shit out of Funklab! At the time of my injury (I was 23) I never thought longevity was in my future. I just turned 58 and recently completed treatment for chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). I'm in remission and feel 100%. Dying doesn't come easy and if you've learned how to manage your SCI reasonably well, don't expect it to shuffle off your mortal coil for you. Best to plan to stick around a while.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    So this probably isn't quite the right forum to put this in, but I figured the travel forum might get me more helpful comments.

    I'm finishing up my training in the South East where I've pretty much always lived. I've got 2.5 years left before I finish, so right now this is just purely a theoretical exercise. When I graduate I'm thinking about taking a job in NYC, nothing specific lined up, but my field is reasonably well paying and in high demand, so it wouldn't be hard for me to find a job there, and I could afford to live in Manhattan on the salary I would be making.

    I have been to NYC probably a half dozen times in the past, but not once since my injury 10 years ago. I know full well the subway is minimally accessibly and what elevators there are tend to be out of service more often than they are working. Also I can accept that a good 30-40% of ground level shops/restaurants/offices/etc are gonna have steps that preclude me from actually getting inside and 95% of the apartments aren't going to work for a para. Still the city intrigues me. There's no way I would want to live there forever. In fact if I stayed more than 12 months I would be shocked. It's almost like I want to do it just so I can prove to myself that I could do it... you know the whole "if you can make it there you can make it anywhere" type of vibe.

    Plus eventually I'm planning on traveling my ass off, and from what I can gather (being very, very poorly traveled prior to my injury) the rest of the world aint nearly as accessible as most of the United States is, so a little exercise in learning to deal in NYC could be a valuable skill building exercise. Plus there's a lot of super cool stuff in New York.

    I'd love to hear anyone's opinion on living in NYC in a wheelchair. But even if you've just traveled there, I'd like to hear your experiences. I'd guess that a bus is gonna be 90% accessible, but maybe I'm deluding myself. I certainly wouldn't bother with a car in Manhattan, and I'd be making enough money to take a cab everywhere if I absolutely had to... and knowing that cabs (in my experience in other cities) are quite reluctant to stop for wheelchair users, nowadays we've got uber so they pretty much have to accept the fare before they see the wheelchair I don't think transportation would be that much of a hassle.

    But anyway I'm rambling now, any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    We dont live in New York but have traveled often for years and have many wheelchair power chair friends that love living there. I think some of your numbers are off...1st getting around the city is easy! You have challenges but what city doesnt?

    But subways are a great way of getting around and we really doesn't have a lot of issues with elevators.

    Buses and Uber are great also along with Wow (wheelchair accessible cab app).

    http://accessibledispatch.org/

    Never heard of free cabs?

    The biggest challenge might be a rental that will work for you with space to be accessible.

    Some of the newer buildings going up mid town might be more accessible then some of the older grandfathered buildings.

    Love your excitement its an amazing city and once you get comfortable you learn what stores, restaurants, buildings etc you can get in and out of comfortably.

    Also New Yorkers area really helpful with offering ideas, support and encouragements to use there stores, restaurants etc!

    To the person that questioned salaries??? I have a friend that started his 1st year attorney out of Duke well ahead of $90,000

    Its New York they pay for talent so be the best you can in the field you are entering and keep up your excitement!!

Similar Threads

  1. Accessible Manhattan?
    By LaMemChose in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-18-2010, 05:40 PM
  2. Manhattan
    By Wise Young in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 11:54 AM
  3. does anyone live in Manhattan?
    By bschiner in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-01-2009, 01:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •