Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manhattan, anybody lived there?

Manhattan, anybody lived there?

So this probably isn't quite the right forum to put this in, but I figured the travel forum might get me more helpful comments.

I'm finishing up my training in the South East where I've pretty much always lived. I've got 2.5 years left before I finish, so right now this is just purely a theoretical exercise. When I graduate I'm thinking about taking a job in NYC, nothing specific lined up, but my field is reasonably well paying and in high demand, so it wouldn't be hard for me to find a job there, and I could afford to live in Manhattan on the salary I would be making.

I have been to NYC probably a half dozen times in the past, but not once since my injury 10 years ago. I know full well the subway is minimally accessibly and what elevators there are tend to be out of service more often than they are working. Also I can accept that a good 30-40% of ground level shops/restaurants/offices/etc are gonna have steps that preclude me from actually getting inside and 95% of the apartments aren't going to work for a para. Still the city intrigues me. There's no way I would want to live there forever. In fact if I stayed more than 12 months I would be shocked. It's almost like I want to do it just so I can prove to myself that I could do it... you know the whole "if you can make it there you can make it anywhere" type of vibe.

Plus eventually I'm planning on traveling my ass off, and from what I can gather (being very, very poorly traveled prior to my injury) the rest of the world aint nearly as accessible as most of the United States is, so a little exercise in learning to deal in NYC could be a valuable skill building exercise. Plus there's a lot of super cool stuff in New York.

I'd love to hear anyone's opinion on living in NYC in a wheelchair. But even if you've just traveled there, I'd like to hear your experiences. I'd guess that a bus is gonna be 90% accessible, but maybe I'm deluding myself. I certainly wouldn't bother with a car in Manhattan, and I'd be making enough money to take a cab everywhere if I absolutely had to... and knowing that cabs (in my experience in other cities) are quite reluctant to stop for wheelchair users, nowadays we've got uber so they pretty much have to accept the fare before they see the wheelchair I don't think transportation would be that much of a hassle.

But anyway I'm rambling now, any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I grew up 40 miles away in Jersey. Have been injured for 22 years and go in as often as possible. If was there regularly, I would def need to add a power assist to my manual chair.

We know several people in chairs there.

Go for it, NYC is amazing.

You might want to contact someone at the USA (United Spinal Association) headquarters. They're in the Bronx, not Manhattan, but they serve a lot of people with SCI in the greater NYC area.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I grew up 40 miles away in Jersey. Have been injured for 22 years and go in as often as possible. If was there regularly, I would def need to add a power assist to my manual chair.

We know several people in chairs there.

Go for it, NYC is amazing.
    Okay, I got a bunch more questions for you.

When you go to the city do you ride buses? subway? It seems like the subway might work in certain conditions as long as you plan it out precisely ahead of time and don't run into an elevator that's down, but I don't know how realistic it is to use regularly for transportation.

How hard is it to get a taxi if your on your own in a wheelchair? (I feel like yellow cabs just wouldn't stop).

How hard is it to get around in the winter? I'm from the south so we drive everywhere and it only snows once or twice a year and melts almost immediately. I'm kinda paranoid that a good six inches of snow would make it a bitch and a half to get to and from work, but maybe I'm just worrying about it because I've never experienced it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You might want to contact someone at the USA (United Spinal Association) headquarters. They're in the Bronx, not Manhattan, but they serve a lot of people with SCI in the greater NYC area.

(KLD)
    Haven't heard of them before, but a quick look at their website seems like they're good people doing good work for us. Not sure how they could help me though?

Up until moving to Los Angeles almost 4 years ago, I lived on the Upper West Side of Manhattan for decades. Why don't we arrange a time for a phone chat?

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Up until moving to Los Angeles almost 4 years ago, I lived on the Upper West Side of Manhattan for decades. Why don't we arrange a time for a phone chat?
    Don't you know it's 2018, no one talks on the phone any longer, that's just weird. (j/k)

But really I'd rather have as much information on this thread as possible, in case someone has similar questions in the future. I know personally I always search this site and google when I'm pondering the accessibility of something.

I might take you up on that phone call when it gets a little closer to actually being an option.

In my prior life I managed residential real estate all over manhattan for the better of 20 yrs consisting of thousands of apartments from pre-war walk-ups to 68 sty glass towers, including everything in between. It's ground zero (no pun) for certain segments of society that want to connect with the like-minded, so it's good for them. It's also good for those seeking to work all but maybe 8-10 hrs a day, immersing yourself in your profession. I worked there long enough dealing with tenants and the issues they face that I didn't mind the 90 minute commute in order to get the hell out of Dodge each day, but then I was doing the family/Home Depot lifestyle at the time. I worshiped my little patch of green when I finally get home, but if I was single I'd might feel different. If you enjoy the rat-race, paying exorbitant rent for shoe-boxes, and getting lost in crowds crossing the street at waist-high level (rush hour crowds will literally spin you in circles). In your case you'd have to reside within vicinity of your office. If you can afford a full service building, preferably newer with wider bathrooms you'd be much better off.

I was there 6 months ago and the cabs were free. You call some *--- number and they come pick you up. There is an app that lets you know what's working/not working with the subways.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I was there 6 months ago and the cabs were free. You call some *--- number and they come pick you up. There is an app that lets you know what's working/not working with the subways.
    What do you mean "the cabs were free". You mean like some paratransit type deal where you call three days ahead of time and give them a four hour window in which you want to go somewhere?