Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY electric addon

Quote Originally Posted by rAdGie View Post
    thanks for the replies, the batec is far too expensive but does look good, im trying to get away with not buying an already made one and build my own, so its just parts i need, a decent motor small wheel say 10" maybe a nice lipo battery and speed controller, yes the attachment system will be tricky but if it works in the most basic way then it works

My Power Pod behind my FRH handcyle is kind of like you're describing. Mark bought his power stuff from https://www.ebikekit.com. Way overbuilt for what you're looking for but they do have smaller motors.

Mines a 500w 24" wheel with a 48x20ah lithium battery. The 48vlt boosts the wheel to a 1000wt. It's like a rocket ship.

You don't want to skimp on the attachment part by any means. In the early '80's a buddy tried to make an attachable, they weren't even invented yet. The attachment wasn't right; it detached with him ending up with a broken leg and opposite hip. Add electric to that and it can really compound the problem at an instant.

You may want to search out a used one or one not working and rebuild it. I have little doubt there are a lot sitting in someones garage not being used and just want to get rid of it.

Boy you really beefed up the Firefly Gordy. Nothing like continuous power.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent K View Post
    Haha, I’d forgotten about that video being public...that’s my son!

Given the advances in battery technology since I made that little attachment, you’ve made a valid point...a lithium battery scooter could well be a cheap and easy item to attach to a chair. (The scooter in that video, a Razor E300, has 2 sealed lead acid batteries, which would only last 30-40 minutes).
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Boy you really beefed up the Firefly Gordy. Nothing like continuous power.
    Yep...the Firefly was a game-changer for my son. “The Beast” is another step up...I don’t know what we/he would do without it....

Mark’s PowerPod was a great invention too. I actually made one up for my son’s handcycle (with Mark’s knowledge...he was cool with it, very nice guy), and it worked well once I’d sorted out the attachment which was, as per usual, the complex bit! Unfortunately the handcycle hasn’t been used since the Firefly was delivered....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Mark is a really good man. I was sorry to hear he stopped making them. Loved the smile on your sons' face in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    Haha, I’d forgotten about that video being public...that’s my son!

Given the advances in battery technology since I made that little attachment, you’ve made a valid point...a lithium battery scooter could well be a cheap and easy item to attach to a chair. (The scooter in that video, a Razor E300, has 2 sealed lead acid batteries, which would only last 30-40 minutes).
    I wasn't sure if I had watched the video here or on one of the other sites. It's a good idea. I've seen videos of others' that have made additions to their scooters. I don't recall what websites that I found them on,, but there were a couple of sites that sold the wheelchair to scooter attachment brackets. It may be wrong but I think one used an electromagnet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent K View Post
    I wasn't sure if I had watched the video here or on one of the other sites. It's a good idea. I've seen videos of others' that have made additions to their scooters. I don't recall what websites that I found them on,, but there were a couple of sites that sold the wheelchair to scooter attachment brackets. It may be wrong but I think one used an electromagnet.
    This is the one that now uses electromagnets according to the description beneath the video:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yWBnQLHr6iM
    http://segfree.co.za/the-scootfree.htm

Pretty cool, a bit of a step up from a Razor scooter!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Loved the smile on your sons' face in the video.
    Well he’s a teenager now, but still smiles occasionally!
    https://youtu.be/DeKT-MhZ-Ps

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    Well he?s a teenager now, but still smiles occasionally!
    https://youtu.be/DeKT-MhZ-Ps
    What air pressure are you running in that fatso tire?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    What air pressure are you running in that fatso tire?
    Very low, not sure exactly what the pressure is, but it’s very squishable!