Thread: Has anyone ever had complications after wound surgery?

Has anyone ever had complications after wound surgery?

Has anyone ever had complications after wound surgery? like the infection coming back or getting another wound because you spent to much time in bed or the skin/muscle graft coming apart? If so please tell me about it, and why you think it happened and what you could have done to prevent it. I need this info because I may have a wound surgery soon.
    I was injured 2 weeks after my 16th birthday on June 14th, 2004. My level of injury is C5 complete, but I can move my wrist.

My screen name comes from the movie The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Common complications of soft tissue or myocutaneous flap surgery (is that what you are having done???) include infection, hematoma or seroma formation under the flap, dehiscence (incision splitting open), and flap failure due to insufficient blood supply (often in tobacco users or those with peripheral vascular disease). Moving around too much after the surgery, uncontrolled spasms, and flexing the joints above and below the flap can significantly increase the risk of hematoma/seroma, and dehiscence.

You should discuss with the plastic surgeon ahead of time what the specific risks are for the flap they are planning for you, and what you can do to reduce those risks, as well as what their incidence of these complications are for this type of flap in a person with SCI.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.