Thread: Anyone using kinesiology tape?

Anyone using kinesiology tape?

I'm currently receiving home PT and OT 4 times a week for chronic shoulder pain that's interfering with my independent transfers (arthritis and bone spurs in joint). I asked therapist about kinesiology tape that I've seen athletes wearing on TV, as I've felt I might benefit from some support.
    My OT did the taping routine on my left shoulder and I wore it for two days. Can't say too much on this first try but it felt good and I plan to continue it. Husband and I watched taping procedures on YouTube as he would need to do the taping after therapists are finished with me. I believe each taping can stay on for about 4 days, and it's ok to shower with it on.

I'm curious if anyone has used this for shoulders or even hands/wrists to help manage or control movement.

In my brief experience it felt like the tape was compressing my shoulder just enough to prevent too much joint movement during my transfers. I definitely plan to continue use. I'm also exercising twice daily which consists of a variety of arm/shoulder movements specifically for someone seated, aimed at reducing pain and slowly building strength. I'm not a candidate at this time for injections or surgical procedures.

My Dad has used it on his right butt / hip pain. One of his PT's was really into it. He used to think it helped his pain. Somehow he got off using it. Now when I suggest using it again he says.... But did it really work?

His physiatrist was also very familiar with it and supported using it.

I used it before I got hurt for bilateral carpal tunnel and golfers/tennis elbow. In the accident both shoulders were injured - one dislocation + brachial plexus, the other dislocation + fracture. The OTs and PTs in rehab used initially McConnell tape and then kinesiology tape to provide support but make sure I could use the shoulders and arms as much as possible. It was really successful for me and I still use it for random things - I still have chronic tendinitis in both forearms, I have arthritis at the base of both thumbs and find lightly taping them reduces my discomfort significantly and so I wind up not needing anti-inflammatories, which is a win because they make my stomach bleed. In buying this stuff for myself, I have found that the rock tape brand is much much stickier than any of the others, which means I have had it last 10 days, through multiple showers, without skin irritation.

Thanks for the responses!
    Wasn't sure I was headed in the right direction with taping, and plan to continue with it. Meanwhile my 2x day upper body exercising is helping control pain and build a bit more muscle for transfers. This is the first regular exercising I have done since retiring from roadracing 20 years ago; I always thought that my daily activities were enough, but now I'm convinced that I must also keep working daily on strength and flexibility.

One thing to watch out for with the tape is that it's hard on thin, fragile, aging skin. It usually doesn't contain latex, so skin irritation is not the problem - but it's quite adherent and can rip the skin and/or cause bleeding under the skin when it's removed. This has happened to me, the skin on my upper extremities is like tissue paper. As annev308 says above, Rock Tape is a good brand - they make a tape that's suitable for the elderly and people with sensitive skin, but it's very adhesive and you really have to be careful when you remove it. Kinesiology tape does help with a variety of conditions, and if you have strong skin with a good connective tissue layer supporting it, it's worth looking into.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    One thing to watch out for with the tape is that it's hard on thin, fragile, aging skin. It usually doesn't contain latex, so skin irritation is not the problem - but it's quite adherent and can rip the skin and/or cause bleeding under the skin when it's removed. This has happened to me, the skin on my upper extremities is like tissue paper. As annev308 says above, Rock Tape is a good brand - they make a tape that's suitable for the elderly and people with sensitive skin, but it's very adhesive and you really have to be careful when you remove it. Kinesiology tape does help with a variety of conditions, and if you have strong skin with a good connective tissue layer supporting it, it's worth looking into.

Use skin prep on weak skin.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Use skin prep on weak skin.
    Thanks baldfatdad, I didn't know there was anything I could do to prevent those skin hemorrhages.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Thanks for the comments!