Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mechanic's creeper

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mechanic's creeper

I'm doing some storage room reorganizing, and happened to notice my Harbor Freight hydraulic lift table which is great for chair-floor and back transfers without busting your ass. Which got me to thinking of one of the reasons I got the thing...I want to start changing my car's oil again. Which leads to a question maybe some of you already figured out...

What is a good mechanic's creeper for a cripple? I'd imagine something with a good back/headrest and real long to keep legs off the floor? Anyone find something good that they can recommend?

None, I've found. You go around the nut sits still. No brakes on them. I use to use cardboard, now thin foam house insulation. You slide on it easily, doesn't about oil when you spill. Not cold. Lite and the pink stuff I found is thin enough to fold for storage. I use a short 4x4 for a head rest.

Great idea on the house insulation...self-padding too. Might have to go with that idea for sure, thanks!

I use cardboard. It's cheap (sometimes free) and yes, easy to slide and pull yourself around on.

I know we know this, but I have to say it: Please use proper jack stands!
    I guess ramps are okay, but I almost had a catastrophe when my car rolled off them in a way I didn't expect. It was totally my fault, but it scared me into buying jack stands. Your life is worth the price.

I'd love to do ramps, have them actually, but not sure if the car will clear them though. Setup would be a pain, I'll just jack it like I've been doing (with stands). Might be hard to get in/out on ramps though for me. I'd love to get a drive-on lift, but then I'd need a new garage for that, and things just get real expensive from there, lol.

Reading how cheesy Chinese jacks are (like mine), definitely using stands than trusting an o-ring to keep the car off me

I use a single bed mattress that's 4 inches thick. If the concrete floor is smooth enough after you are on it you can just grap body parts to move yourself under the car. I would jack the car up put it on drive up ramps or floor jacks just depends what kind of work you are doing under it. Years ago when I was strong I just lift myself to the concrete floor with a roho to sit on the floor. Move myself and mattress until I got it were I wanted it and just rolled onto mattress while I rolled onto it. Wear boots so you don't get any pressure sore from your feet falling off the mattress while working. Then I just roll up onto my roho on the floor and then lift myself from floor to wheelchair which in my case was 2 foot from floor to chair. Did that for maybe 15 years that way till my shoulders started to bother me. Just remember to throw any tools you may need on the floor so you can easy get to them. Usually I find the top of the tire or bumber and wheelchair to help you lower and get back in chair. Getting back in chair a lot harder why I said get any tools you might think you will need. Made me mad when I forgot something and had to make that transfer again. After about 5 of those a day was about all I could take when I was younger. My dog at the time would watch me and when I took a break she come and lay with me. I feel asleep many a times with her that way. Carefull with the brake clean as its vapor hangs to the floor and can really make you high. I would use the electric door opener in the garage when I start to feel it. This was in the winter and when it was cold out. After I got older I made a lift so it would transfer me to the ground and back up. Even used it to work over fender to work on my drag cars and such to reach engine and such. I built a creaper to hold the mattress but that was worthless. Se as you wrench you would just rolls around and it made it to high also. The mattress on the floor is just right and does not slide around while you are doing things. I still use the same system today as it is faster then moving stuff and putting it on the lift for just a oil change. I made 2 lifts one for just me and the other I put plywood and steel on it to lift my wheelchair to work on and even change lights in garage with me and wheelchair on it. Even my 500 pound electric chair and me make it 700 pounds. I don't go as high in the electric chair as my manual. Though I have change lights with electric chair when I got lazy and 7 foot up on platform you don't want to lean to much.....lol. The mattress and the boots are the only way to go without a worry about a pressure sore. I just never sat on the mattress without a 4 inch roho on the floor or on the mattress which I rarely used roho on the mattress when you can just sit on floor with roho. Just don't try and sit up on 4 inch mattress as you will bottom out. I tried cardboard under the mattress on the concrete floor just made me slide around to much trying to wrench on that setup. Mattress is the only way I could think of to not cause any pressure sores. There my be better ideas out there but this has worked for me or over 42 years now. I would spend 4 to 8 hours under there doing stuff. Painting under the bottom of the floor of the car or anything took most the time.
    Art

I normally have used shop mats, https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T...words=shop+mat
    They are somewhat slippery, and soft. Since they are 2X2, I can move them ahead of me as I scoot around if needed.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I used to change my oil. Found that for all its worth, a lot easier to just go to the quick lube. I realize that you are at the mercy of the mechanic who does the change but, still a lot easier and, safer. For as often as I need to do a repair on the van, I just crawl back into the house to the lift to get back on one of my chairs.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtop1 View Post
    I used to change my oil. Found that for all its worth, a lot easier to just go to the quick lube. I realize that you are at the mercy of the mechanic who does the change but, still a lot easier and, safer. For as often as I need to do a repair on the van, I just crawl back into the house to the lift to get back on one of my chairs.
    Don't know about Quick Lube. We have a Jiffy Lube. When I contacted them about my wife's car, they refused to use synthetic oil, would not replace the trans filter when replacing trans fluid and wouldn't do an anti freeze change. That was three strikes, out.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Get one that is heavy duty with good wheels on it.