Thread: Umbilical hernia

Umbilical hernia

Anyone have this operated on? Do I or don't I get this done? It isn't huge now, though its poking out, but not discolored or painful. However, it has gotten bigger in the past year. This originated from my gall bladder surgery in '05.

My PC doc sez weight gain can be a culprit of the hernia getting bigger. I could stand to lose 20lbs.

So....basically, how long of a recovery do I need, how long will I need to be off work, and what issues, if any, did you encounter in the months or years afterwards?

Or do I jus keep going on as I have, and not fret about it?
    Thanks..

This is a fairly straightforward procedure. If it is getting larger, the risk of you getting a strangulation or incarceration of a segment of bowel that does not reduce gets bigger, and that would then require a bigger surgery and can even be life threatening.

Increased weight increases intra-abdominal pressure, and can make an umbilical hernia worse, as well as increasing the risk of incarceration.

What kind of work do you do? If it is relatively sedentary, then you should not need to miss more than a week or two of work. You should discuss with your surgeon any limitations on lifting (including transfers), push-up type weight shifts, or pushing a wheelchair.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thank you for your response KLD. My job as a training manager requires me to use stairs with a cane in the older parts of the plant. The sections built in 1995 - 2002 have elevators. I haul my chair in and out of my expedition. Roughly 50% of my job is office work, the rest I ride my Wrangler in the field, use a manual for other buildings, and do a lot of standing when demonstrating lab techniques. I hope this gives you a better idea of my day.
    Limitations of movement is certainly a concern. My PC mentioned a "mesh" to help strengthen the repair. Does this become problematic is I were to lose weight? Will the "mesh" be a hindrance in leaning forward to lift things?
    Thanks for any answers.

You need to have a serious discussion with the surgeon about what your normal work physical demands are, as well as your personal mobility and ADLs. Moving around too much too soon after a surgery like this can cause stitches and mesh to rip out and put you in a worse condition than prior to the surgery.

I would also suggest that you talk with your surgeon about the type of mesh they will be using, and the risks for a negative body reaction to/rejection of this mesh. This has been a problem with many of the mesh products used for hernia repair and for women for sling and "fallen" (prolapsed) bladder or uterus problems.

https://emedicine.medscape.com/artic...0-technique#c2

The mesh should remain flexible and not interfere with normal trunk or abdominal movement once the surgery is completely healed. Weight loss is also not an issue.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thank you KLD. I see I need to put together a notepad of questions for the surgeon. Didn't know that the mesh is a risk for rejection. Will read up on the article you provided.

So surgery set for this Friday. Doc sez I will be off work for 4 weeks. Seems like a straight up procedure. Hate the idea of being idle for that long, but best to get it done now, before summer.

Good luck with your surgery keep us posted

pbr

Good luck graybeard!

Thanks for the well wishes guys. The surgery went well, a nylon mesh was used to help keep the repair in place. Doc sez that I will be out 4-6 weeks. Cant lift more than 10 lbs. for now. see him in 2 weeks. Not much pain, jus some discomfort for now. I imagine that can change in the coming days as I start to move around more.