Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda, Toyota or Chrysler

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Ramp slopes: Most conversion have a "kneel" feature that (may be an option) really flattens out the slope of the ramp.

Headroom: I'm 6'3" and have a very tall sitting height. I use a Permobil m300 and headroom inside the Odyssey (2010 headroom may be different than later models) is reasonable. Visibility is not optimal. I ride front passenger position, beside the driver. The floor is lowered from the firewall in the front of the van to the base of the rear seats. I back up the ramp and need to tilt my head forward to clear the doorway. The Pacifica had a good deal of headroom. NL, at 5'2", could stand upright and just needed to tilt her head to a side to clear the ceiling.

The VMI conversion, in the Odyssey 2010, drops the floor about 10 inches.

SCI55, why did you opt to ride in the back of the van?
    My wife regularly chauffeurs friends around and the extra seat is needed.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Just bought a new 2016 Toyota Sienna Limited Braun XT foldout a couple months ago, old van was an '05 T&C Limited foldout. As I plan on towing this van behind our MH, I had to stick with '16s as the trannys changed in '17 and the conversion can't be done. So I didn't look at the Pacifica.

Went with another foldout, there's only 2 of us and we don't need clear access in that door, "decider" was I park at some places with real tall curbs where I turn the kneel off because it puts the ramp lower than the curb otherwise. Slight worry of not being able to deploy infloor.

Pro's
    1. Ramp angle is way better than the old one. I believe the XT version has one of the lowest angles available due to lower floor drop.
    2. Much quieter than the old van, can actually converse with my wife in passenger seat now. They are still louder than a stock minivan, but they are trying. The Toyota and Honda were close, the new Chrysler was still louder. Nice touch, the Toyota has "Driver Speak" which will use the mic and pump your voice out the rear speakers to talk to passengers back there.
    3. Ride is sooo much smoother than old van. One reason I did not go with another Chrysler, the test ride in it was almost as rough as my old van. The Honda was the smoothest IMO.
    4. The Toyota has best pep.
    5. Plenty of headroom in the XT version.

Con's
    1. w/c floor space is a little tighter than T&C. They got better in '17 Toyota with the rounded "cutout" in the rear floor under the rear seat.
    2. With B&D xfer base, the oem seat height is a little taller. The bolsters in it make for a slight uphill xfer.

Ya wanna know one of the biggest "decider"? Cupholders. In the Limited's the Honda has NO front cupholders as the DVD player takes the spot, relying on the now non existent console for normal vans. The Toyota has a double holder that pops out of the dash, they are small but work for the most part.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

My agent, wife, and I went to the big city of Seattle to look at vans today. I drive around in a two stop light town so it was different. It sure showed me I never want to live in a big city again.

We went to two places; Kersey and Access Mobility to look at El Dorado fold out and the VMI in floor along with the three van makes. I didn't go to the Braun Dealer because I refuse to deal with him. It's a shame we don't have the freedom to choose who we buy from.

Like you McDuff, I drive a 17 yr. old 2000 T&C Limited with VMI and looked at that level models. Workers Comp. pays for my conversion so my focus was on type of conversion and best deal on a slightly used van.

Jeff at Access Mobility in Everett has the El Dorado fold out 14" dropped floor conversion. This was the first fold out conversion I'd seen up close. The ramp looks really sturdy and well made. It was quick and quiet. There was another 8" a person could add to the bottom of the ramp to make the incline less steep. I think he said it was an 8.5o incline. I didn't like the cable that pulls up the ramp, no reason. The interior mods they do is okay. We were told the New York City cabs use the Eldorado so it's built industrial. The 14" is built more for power chairs who normally sit higher giving a better line of vision and comfort. The lowered floor made the the transfer to the drivers seat 4" higher. 26 1/2" to the floor vs. 22 1/2" in my T&C. The distance looked scary it was so low. While there we checked out the Toyota, Chrysler, Honda and Dodge. Based on looks and cabin design, we liked the Sienna limited and Pacifica Touring. There is a 10" drop floor model but is rarely ordered. Jeff said he may have sold 2 in the last year.

Then off to Kersey Mobility in Redmond to look at VMI. I bought the show van the owner used when he was a district dealer so was good to see him and know him as a friend. The new in floor VMI is pretty slick compared to mine. It still takes an effort and a grab of the back passenger seat to get in all of them. I think a handle to grab would make it much easier. Looked at a power winch but looked clumsily to use. Looking them all over it came to Toyota Sienna and the Chrysler Pacifica. The Toyotas were all new stock and several Pacifica Touring L with 13K to 20K. The price for Pacifica TL's were cheaper than the next lower models if I were to order.

So we have a tentative deal depending if they can get everything approved; should be no problem and then coming to price on the van; '17 Pacifica with 20k miles.

I'm going to check tomorrow regarding a Summit fold out VMI.

Thank you all for your opinions and information. It was greatly appreciated and has surely helped. Boy, we sure were glad to get back to the country; gonna be a longtime before I hit the big city again. the freeways are crazy.

I don't like the frenzy of Seattle either, and I live here. I time my trips as best I can.
    That cable on the side of the folding ramp spooked me out at first too Patrick especially since mine was a little frayed at the end. Rollx sold me a new one for about 25 dollars and my wife and I installed it quite easily. Contrary to how I thought it worked, what it actually does is that it straightens the ramp at the end of the unfolding, (deploying) process.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

will be a sweet ride country boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    My agent, wife, and I went to the big city of Seattle to look at vans today. I drive around in a two stop light town so it was different. It sure showed me I never want to live in a big city again.

We went to two places; Kersey and Access Mobility to look at El Dorado fold out and the VMI in floor along with the three van makes. I didn't go to the Braun Dealer because I refuse to deal with him. It's a shame we don't have the freedom to choose who we buy from.

Like you McDuff, I drive a 17 yr. old 2000 T&C Limited with VMI and looked at that level models. Workers Comp. pays for my conversion so my focus was on type of conversion and best deal on a slightly used van.

Jeff at Access Mobility in Everett has the El Dorado fold out 14" dropped floor conversion. This was the first fold out conversion I'd seen up close. The ramp looks really sturdy and well made. It was quick and quiet. There was another 8" a person could add to the bottom of the ramp to make the incline less steep. I think he said it was an 8.5o incline. I didn't like the cable that pulls up the ramp, no reason. The interior mods they do is okay. We were told the New York City cabs use the Eldorado so it's built industrial. The 14" is built more for power chairs who normally sit higher giving a better line of vision and comfort. The lowered floor made the the transfer to the drivers seat 4" higher. 26 1/2" to the floor vs. 22 1/2" in my T&C. The distance looked scary it was so low. While there we checked out the Toyota, Chrysler, Honda and Dodge. Based on looks and cabin design, we liked the Sienna limited and Pacifica Touring. There is a 10" drop floor model but is rarely ordered. Jeff said he may have sold 2 in the last year.

Then off to Kersey Mobility in Redmond to look at VMI. I bought the show van the owner used when he was a district dealer so was good to see him and know him as a friend. The new in floor VMI is pretty slick compared to mine. It still takes an effort and a grab of the back passenger seat to get in all of them. I think a handle to grab would make it much easier. Looked at a power winch but looked clumsily to use. Looking them all over it came to Toyota Sienna and the Chrysler Pacifica. The Toyotas were all new stock and several Pacifica Touring L with 13K to 20K. The price for Pacifica TL's were cheaper than the next lower models if I were to order.

So we have a tentative deal depending if they can get everything approved; should be no problem and then coming to price on the van; '17 Pacifica with 20k miles.

I'm going to check tomorrow regarding a Summit fold out VMI.

Thank you all for your opinions and information. It was greatly appreciated and has surely helped. Boy, we sure were glad to get back to the country; gonna be a longtime before I hit the big city again. the freeways are crazy.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

We'll see if I want it. The price they want for the van is the same as a new one. One with 20K miles goes for 21K-26K on the economy. How do you like the Rollx system Nonoise? Where did you buy it?

Wife and I talked this morning and we both feel getting another infloor doesn't change the challenge of my getting up the ramp with out having to grab a handle of somesort to pull myself up.

With a fold out and extension of the lower part of the ramp, it should be no problem. I'm not ready to use my ZX-1 all the time and certainly not ready to go full blown power. My T&C is still in great shape so no hurry on replacing it.

It made me appreciate being a good ol' country boy John especially while handcycling!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    We'll see if I want it. The price they want for the van is the same as a new one. One with 20K miles goes for 21K-26K on the economy. How do you like the Rollx system Nonoise? Where did you buy it?

Wife and I talked this morning and we both feel getting another infloor doesn't change the challenge of my getting up the ramp with out having to grab a handle of somesort to pull myself up.

With a fold out and extension of the lower part of the ramp, it should be no problem. I'm not ready to use my ZX-1 all the time and certainly not ready to go full blown power. My T&C is still in great shape so no hurry on replacing it.

It made me appreciate being a good ol' country boy John especially while handcycling!
    In Aug of 2016 I paid cash for a new full size Express van which is my preference. But before the year was out I became too weak/paralyzed to crawl and boost myself into it. Quotes for converting (Kersey I think) it ran 6k for the door, 10k for the lift, and 4k for each seat. Maybe I should have gone that route, but this Rollx seemed like a quick and easy solution at under 8k. It does have 160k on it, but I don't drive that much anymore. Oh and it already had hand controls I liked.

Actually I bought it sight unseen other than a few pictures, phone calls and emails . My wife and son drove down to Bend Ore and got it off of Craigslist.
    My I-Glide takes me up the ramp, otherwise someone has to push me up. I've turned the kneel function off, don't like waiting for it, but that drops the van quite a bit. If you don't have it, you should check it out.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

hows the ground clearance as far as bottoming out on the lowered floor ramps i have some steep hills that lead to flat roads here seems like it would be a problem but have been kicking the idea of that pacifica around
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Just bought a new 2016 Toyota Sienna Limited Braun XT foldout a couple months ago, old van was an '05 T&C Limited foldout. As I plan on towing this van behind our MH, I had to stick with '16s as the trannys changed in '17 and the conversion can't be done. So I didn't look at the Pacifica.

Went with another foldout, there's only 2 of us and we don't need clear access in that door, "decider" was I park at some places with real tall curbs where I turn the kneel off because it puts the ramp lower than the curb otherwise. Slight worry of not being able to deploy infloor.

Pro's
    1. Ramp angle is way better than the old one. I believe the XT version has one of the lowest angles available due to lower floor drop.
    2. Much quieter than the old van, can actually converse with my wife in passenger seat now. They are still louder than a stock minivan, but they are trying. The Toyota and Honda were close, the new Chrysler was still louder. Nice touch, the Toyota has "Driver Speak" which will use the mic and pump your voice out the rear speakers to talk to passengers back there.
    3. Ride is sooo much smoother than old van. One reason I did not go with another Chrysler, the test ride in it was almost as rough as my old van. The Honda was the smoothest IMO.
    4. The Toyota has best pep.
    5. Plenty of headroom in the XT version.

Con's
    1. w/c floor space is a little tighter than T&C. They got better in '17 Toyota with the rounded "cutout" in the rear floor under the rear seat.
    2. With B&D xfer base, the oem seat height is a little taller. The bolsters in it make for a slight uphill xfer.

Ya wanna know one of the biggest "decider"? Cupholders. In the Limited's the Honda has NO front cupholders as the DVD player takes the spot, relying on the now non existent console for normal vans. The Toyota has a double holder that pops out of the dash, they are small but work for the most part.
    sounds great dude i was thinking pacifuca but may look into the toyota
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    hows the ground clearance as far as bottoming out on the lowered floor ramps i have some steep hills that lead to flat roads here seems like it would be a problem but have been kicking the idea of that pacifica around
    Here is a fairly recent thread on the subject of "high centering," in converted vans with lowered floors: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ound+clearance
    Last edited by gjnl; 01-25-2018 at 05:20 PM.