Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda, Toyota or Chrysler

Honda, Toyota or Chrysler

I'm heading to the big city, Seattle, tomorrow to look at vans. Will be in the 2016/2017 Touring or Limited models. Looking at in Floor and folding out ramp VMI or Braun. Any recommendations or other suggestions. I've heard the Honda Odyssey is very noisy in the back area.

I've owned a Chrysler Limited for 18 years with VMI conversions and didn't have any big issues with it. I'll be transferring to the drivers eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I'm heading to the big city, Seattle, tomorrow to look at vans. Will be in the 2016/2017 Touring or Limited models. Looking at in Floor and folding out ramp VMI or Braun. Any recommendations or other suggestions. I've heard the Honda Odyssey is very noisy in the back area.

I've owned a Chrysler Limited for 18 years with VMI conversions and didn't have any big issues with it. I'll be transferring to the drivers eat.
    I really like the new Chrysler Pacifica (essentially a Town and Country reboot but way nicer than the Caravan). I'd likely go that route today.
    I bought a Toyota Sienna because a friend got me the employee discount. I didn't go ramp but did an articulating driver's seat with a lift behind the driver's seat because I wanted the full cargo area for a hand cycle. Having used that in many a rain storm I should have gone with a ramp and used a rack for the cycle. It's not like I can load/unload a cycle alone either way. The Sienna is nice and probably the quietest minivan I've driven. Still, I prefer to buy American brands (yeah, I know it's Italian, but...). I'm considering selling the Toyota for a Chrysler pacifica right now.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

I have a Honda VMI conversion with in floor ramp. It was purchased new in 2010. I have the model one step below the touring because the conversion takes out the middle seats and the entertainment package, standard in the touring model, (about $2000 additional in the 2010 model year) can't be used. I don't have the navigation screen in front, but with other GPS options, I don't miss it. Re: Noise in back...I only have my two other mini vans to compare and the Honda is quieter than both of those. I had all carpet removed and have the rubberized floor with additional insulation option (about $600.00 in 2010). No wear like carpet and easy to keep clean.

I saw the Chrysler Pacifica at an Abilities Expo in late 2017. It is a good looking option!

I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey. Even the dealer tells me that the later models (at least the next 4 or five years) are much noisier. Mine is pretty quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I really like the new Chrysler Pacifica (essentially a Town and Country reboot but way nicer than the Caravan). I'd likely go that route today.
    I bought a Toyota Sienna because a friend got me the employee discount. I didn't go ramp but did an articulating driver's seat with a lift behind the driver's seat because I wanted the full cargo area for a hand cycle. Having used that in many a rain storm I should have gone with a ramp and used a rack for the cycle. It's not like I can load/unload a cycle alone either way. The Sienna is nice and probably the quietest minivan I've driven. Still, I prefer to buy American brands (yeah, I know it's Italian, but...). I'm considering selling the Toyota for a Chrysler pacifica right now.
    those pacifica are nice i was playing with one week ago at mobility shop while getting service
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey. Even the dealer tells me that the later models (at least the next 4 or five years) are much noisier. Mine is pretty quiet.
    2011 was the model year that Honda changed the body styling of the Odyssey, most noticeably the side view.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by gjnl; 01-23-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    those pacifica are nice i was playing with one week ago at mobility shop while getting service
    My sister got the plug in hybrid version. She and her hubby have solar panels and charge their cars with that (he's got a prius I think) so they basically pay nothing for gas unless they take a road trip. Pretty cool if you got the money and southern exposure for solar. I'm pretty sure there won't be a ramp version of the hybrid as most hybrids seem to locate batteries in the floor (precluding a ramp), but you never know. I think it only does 30 miles on electric only, but that would cover most of my days.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

We have a 2014 H Odyssey with a BraunAbility conversion. My wife now drives and I ride in the back. I do not hear any noise that our 2007 Sienna did not have. My gripe is that there are no rear speakers. To date, we have not had a problem with the lift. Be sure to wheel up the ramps. The slopes seem to vary. Good luck.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Will you be driving or riding as passenger in the rear? Power chair or manual? In my opinion, one of your prime concerns will be headroom in the driving area. Take a level, either a 4 foot one or a short one on top of a rigid pole of some sort and rested it on top of your head. Then drop a vertical tape measure to the ground to get your ground to top of head measurement. You will want to have clearance above this in the driving area. The doorway may require tilting back to clear the doorframe. Once inside, headroom opens up and then closes down again as one maneuvers into the driving area. Also, along with headroom one needs to consider vision out of the windshield. Be sure to shop for the vehicle in the same chair that you plan on using. If you haven't gotten that chair yet, try to get a loaner of the same type for the day or wait until you get a new chair. I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey which was very good for my power assisted extender system, and worse, though still doable for my Permobil C300. In my new F3 headroom and vision out the windshield is even worse.

One thing I did to recoup some vision out the windshield was to remove the visor. I never use it and was able to give me back, probably about another half-inch of visibility.

Ramp slopes: Most conversion have a "kneel" feature that (may be an option) really flattens out the slope of the ramp.

Headroom: I'm 6'3" and have a very tall sitting height. I use a Permobil m300 and headroom inside the Odyssey (2010 headroom may be different than later models) is reasonable. Visibility is not optimal. I ride front passenger position, beside the driver. The floor is lowered from the firewall in the front of the van to the base of the rear seats. I back up the ramp and need to tilt my head forward to clear the doorway. The Pacifica had a good deal of headroom. NL, at 5'2", could stand upright and just needed to tilt her head to a side to clear the ceiling.

The VMI conversion, in the Odyssey 2010, drops the floor about 10 inches.

SCI55, why did you opt to ride in the back of the van?