Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round Betty Dino V2 Wheels

I've had the same basic chair setup for the past 30 years. Hard to answer your question with precision because "steep" is a relative term. When I was living a car-less existence in NYC I never found the COG of my chair to be an issue when pushing up hills. Gravity, on the other hand, was a problem. Now that I'm on the west coast (Los Angeles) my car does most of the pushing. I did, however, get a SmartDrive (paid for 100% through my insurance) a few weeks ago but have not put it to use yet. I don't have daily use for it. There's a fabulous sprawling gardens in Pasadena that's super hilly. I was not aware of the hills when I first visited it. But when I return, using the SmartDrive will make all of the difference. While I might (still) have the strength to push up steep hills (very, very slowly), it's not worth the wear and tear on my shoulders, which still work after 34+ years of chair living (and hoping to keep them that way).

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    I just noticed how forward your axle is. How do you push up steep hills or ramps?

As a frequent visitor to SanFrancisco and user of unregulated make-shift ramps, I've locked my axle as far back as possible.

I'd love to occupy a smaller footprint, but can't bring myself to move it forward.

I would like a fixed back for the lesser weight. But the folding back helps to get it into the car. How do you manage getting the fixed back into the car?

They do look nice, I worry about the paint on the spokes chipping and scratching. My Spinergy LX spokes are colored through and can be beat to hell without any real noticeable difference in my spoke color. I will say that the black hub on my old Spinergy LX discolored and started to turn brownish/bronze like. It looked terrible with my green spokes!

I have since gone back to the silver hub as I find the natural metal finishes don't show the wear and tear.

If I had it in the budget, i would pick up a pair of those round betty rims for events that require formal attire. LOL

Very nice! I have round bettys on my aero z but went with spinergy carbon blade on my new TR. I received way more compliments on my round bettys with red spokes than I do on my new ones. I'd love to have a set of those v2's with blue spokes for when I want to change the look of my new chair.

Did round betty ever market the carbon fiber castors? Also do you sell caps for the top of the backrest canes?
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

Depends on the car. I've been using a non-folding back for a long time Back when I was living in NYC, I didn't have my own car so it was someone else who would stow my chair either in the trunk or the back seat. It always fit. I presently drive a Mazda 5 with the the drivers-side middle row seat removed and pull the chair in with the wheels on. (This is why I had my chair was spec'd with an angled rigidizer bar -- it makes grabbing it easier.)

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I would like a fixed back for the lesser weight. But the folding back helps to get it into the car. How do you manage getting the fixed back into the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmay View Post
    They do look nice, I worry about the paint on the spokes chipping and scratching.
    The spokes are anodized and are pretty resistant to scratches and scuffs. If you really chewed through one or more you can get replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by Wills77 View Post
    Very nice! I have round bettys on my aero z but went with spinergy carbon blade on my new TR. I received way more compliments on my round bettys with red spokes than I do on my new ones. I'd love to have a set of those v2's with blue spokes for when I want to change the look of my new chair.

Did round betty ever market the carbon fiber castors? Also do you sell caps for the top of the backrest canes?
    Hit me up if you decide to order a set. I don't believe the Round Betty carbon fiber casters are still available, though maybe Erick has a set or two left over. As for caps for your backposts, you're better off searching for them on eBay than paying TiLite money + shipping. But if you strike out, sure, we can get them for you.

Stephen, I see you are still using the Velcro attachment method for your seat pan. How do you keep the seat pan secure while flying? Do you leave it attached and hope for the best with the airlines or detach it and carry it on with you?

The Dino's are definitely good looking wheels but the spokes are little too thick for my taste. More importantly, I don't think I can ever go back to a non x-laced wheel again. I can fit all four of my fingers in between the spokes of my XLX wheels at the hub when putting them in my car...

Quote Originally Posted by giles88 View Post
    Stephen, I see you are still using the Velcro attachment method for your seat pan. How do you keep the seat pan secure while flying? Do you leave it attached and hope for the best with the airlines or detach it and carry it on with you?
    I haven't flown since I've been injured but for what it's worth it takes some serious effort to remove the carbon seat pan from my chair that has heavy duty velcro. I wouldn't be concerned at all with the seat pan coming off on mine.