Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Round Betty Dino V2 Wheels

Round Betty Dino V2 Wheels

I got a PM from a longtime CC friend over the weekend that among other things noted I haven't posted much to this forum in a while. Let me remedy that here. Check out my new Round Betty's new Dino V2 wheels, which I'm really liking.

Performance-wise the new Dino V2s aren't appreciably different from the original Dinos, they're just -- I think -- cooler looking. Erick Bryant, the owner/designer/everything at Round Betty is creatively restless sort and sometimes likes to give design tweaks to his previous creations. My original Dinos have been sturdy and maintenance free. I've never needed to true the spokes. They're as lightweight as Spinergy LXs they replaced -- give or take an imperctible gram -- and have the same convenient reach-through 12-spoke configuration. The big difference between the Dinos and the LXs is that the Dinos are just so much nicer looking. The anodized aluminum spokes are striking and they're super stiff.

I'm well aware that not every wheelchair user places much (or any) importance on how their chair looks. But for those that do, the new Dinos are as sharp looking a wheel as you'll find. To my aesthetic, nothing else compares, nothing even comes close. Looks AND outstanding performance AND (though I'm not posting this in my position as a sales rep for Bike-On -- truly, I swear!!) the Dino V2s are also hundreds less than the Spinergy LX.

They look awesome on my TiLite TR!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by stephen212; 01-22-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Looking good, indeed. Looks so good, in fact, that the gnarly looking weld on the fixed back rest bracket sticks out like a sore thumb.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

It doesn't look like the spokes have nipples - do they? If not, how would you true the wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    It doesn't look like the spokes have nipples - do they? If not, how would you true the wheels?
    Round Betty includes a special spoke-tightening key with the wheels. The spokes ends are threaded into the rim, which is where the adjustments are made (from the inside, beneath the rim tape).

neat

Best looking chair I've seen

Gawd, those are some fat spokes... not half bad looking though.

Stephen, do you never take your chair outside, or do you just spend hours polishing and cleaning it every day?!? Still looks brand new....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    Stephen, do you never take your chair outside, or do you just spend hours polishing and cleaning it every day?!? Still looks brand new....
    Ha!!

I wiped this sucker down real good before taking pictures and I didn't take any close-ups of the various scuffs. The polished titanium frame, though, maintains its looks pretty well over the long haul. But full confession: I do prefer a clean and clean-looking chair.

I just noticed how forward your axle is. How do you push up steep hills or ramps?

As a frequent visitor to SanFrancisco and user of unregulated make-shift ramps, I've locked my axle as far back as possible.

I'd love to occupy a smaller footprint, but can't bring myself to move it forward.