Thread: Quad transfers-c5-6

Quad transfers-c5-6

ok, i've noticed in the last couple years or so when transfering into my van seat my right leg wants to go over the right down tube on my chair, if this happens it pulls me forward rather than letting me slide out corner of chair into drivers seat. i started leaving my right foot on foot plate and left foot on floor this helps alot unless right foot slides forward and off foot plate then same issue.

i transfer with board, no triceps so no lift just twist out front corner of chair and slide into seat on transfer board. of course im not as snappy as i once was and im more careful and transfer slower.

any thoughts on keeping that long right leg from doing this?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I'm a 73 year old T-10 para, 48 years post sci. I do not use transfer board to get into driver seat but use one to get back to chair. Both ways are gravity transfers. I use a Ride Design Custom cushion and sometimes have trouble getting out of the hole. I place right leg to right of down tube on floor, left foot on footrest at the far right of footrest. If I have difficulty getting out of cushion hole to front left of the cushion I grab the headrest of driver seat to pull myself into position then do gravity transfer. The key for making transfer easy for me is grabbing the headrest and pulling, don't know if this would work for you.

thx ancient. i use back of passenger seat myself. gravity both ways as well.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

C5-6 and no triceps, 45 years post. I use a powerchair so the situation is a bit different. I scooch forward towards left front corner of my seat, move my left foot onto the floor in front of the driers seat(turned sideways), and leave my right foot on the left foot rest. I transfer then swing both legs around in front then spin the seat around.

Transferring back into the chair, I raise the driver's seat about as high as it will go, then place both feet onto the foot pedals. This allows my legs to get up above the cushion and not drag during the transfer. I have a sliding board....somewhere, but couldn't tell you the last time I used it.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

thx robin. similiar to my method except i slide down on board. i dont put feet on footrest getting out though, that would push a manual chair possibly.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    C5-6 and no triceps, 45 years post. I use a powerchair so the situation is a bit different. I scooch forward towards left front corner of my seat, move my left foot onto the floor in front of the driers seat(turned sideways), and leave my right foot on the left foot rest. I transfer then swing both legs around in front then spin the seat around.

Transferring back into the chair, I raise the driver's seat about as high as it will go, then place both feet onto the foot pedals. This allows my legs to get up above the cushion and not drag during the transfer. I have a sliding board....somewhere, but couldn't tell you the last time I used it.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Transfers are very interesting topic for sure. Just a comment here as I was wondering if any changes/signals regarding right leg - such as hip, knee, irritation, type of clothing or shoes, or anything that would cause that right leg to wander.
    So true that any change in form of transfer can throw things off.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Transfers are very interesting topic for sure. Just a comment here as I was wondering if any changes/signals regarding right leg - such as hip, knee, irritation, type of clothing or shoes, or anything that would cause that right leg to wander.
    So true that any change in form of transfer can throw things off.
    i started noticing it now and then several years ago. i used to move alot quicker which would keep that leg inside the downtube but i've slowed down as my shoulders have aged, im not as "snappy": as i used to be.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

An old friend who is a quad told me they taught him in rehab that, "where the head goes the body follows." Recently I have tried to focus on getting my head moving earlier in the direction of my transfer target - seems to work for me.