Thread: Eight day cycle in bowel program.

Eight day cycle in bowel program.

I'm C7, seven years post. For over five years I did my bowel program every day, first with Magic Bullet then with Enemeez. About a year and a half ago I cut back on stool softeners and switched to every other day. I'm pretty satisfied with this, but not completely. I seem to have an eight-day cycle. Every day I get up for a breakfast of two cups of coffee, a large protein smoothie with fruit and kale, and a bowl of granola. Then on day two of the cycle, I use my Enemeez and pass a moderate amount of hard stool, about the size of large grapes. On day four, the same but greater volume and most of the little balls are stuck together in large clumps. Day six is the same as day four. In all of these days my bowels start moving 5-10 minutes after injecting the Enemeez.

On day eight, during breakfast, I can usually feel my bowels anxious to move. About one time out of four, I don't make it undressed in the commode chair before they get moving. The first part of the stool is like before, hard little balls stuck together into a large mass, but that's immediately followed by a very large amount of softer stool. The net is something about the size of a Coke can. I don't have sensation, but I assume the reason it takes ten to thirty minutes to pass this is because it's stretching the hell out of my anus. This is followed by more soft, not runny,stool. Two days later, I'm back to day two of the cycle. Rinse and repeat. Rarely, this is a ten day cycle. Its almost always eight.

This could be a lot worse, but I'd like to do without the "big" day.
    Last edited by endo_aftermath; 01-21-2018 at 01:20 PM. Reason: formatting

Sounds like you're constipated. Small hard balls of stool are a symptom of constipation, though I completely understand your desire for a small amount of constipation, I try to do the same thing. For me if I don't take stool softeners I can get away with a bowel movement every other day, sure I could go more often and with more normally formed stools if I went every day, but the rigmarole takes me around two hours and I just don't have the time to invest that kind of time every day.

The soft stool is pretty much your bowels higher up being overloaded with stool and finally pushing out those hard balls of stool that have been holding things up. It's kind of strange that it happens so regularly for you.

Maybe try stool softeners 2/3 days or something like that to try and dial it in?

The 8th day of your bowel program is your intestines cleaning itself out. My recommendation is to go back to doing your program every day if you want to avoid taking stool softeners. If you want to keep doing an every other day program you need to do an oral stimulant the night before that will work the following morning and the rectal stimulants the morning of your program

Let us know what you decide and what works.

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

If you stay well hydrated, eat the right balance of foods, drink kefir (or some form of probiotic), and aren't on pain killers, then you shouldn't need chemicals.

If you are badly constipated like this on an ongoing basis, I would agree that going back to a daily program, at least temporarily, may help. Hard balls are indeed a sign of constipation, and can lead to hemorrhoids. You don't mention how much fiber you are getting in your diet, or how much fluids you take daily. It should be close to 30 mg. daily, and at least 2.5 liters of water. Do you also take opioids, or anticholenergic medications? Both are constipating, so you may want to use or increase a stool softener such as DSS (Colace), up to 1000 mg. daily spread throughout the day.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I use miralax as my stool softener, which allows me to precisely control how much softener I take, so that I can maintain a relatively easy to pass stool and keep an every other day program. If I were to take the full 17g dose, there would be a mess to deal with, even if I did a BP every day. So I generally use 1.5 - 2 teaspoons 24 hrs before I'm going to do a BP, so basically on the days when I don't do a BP I take stool softener. You could experiment with what dose works for you.

Wow, thanks to all those responding and for the useful tips. I'll try to fill in some details. After injury, I started taking 100mg of Colace and a capful of Miralax daily. No surprise, my stool stayed pretty soft. As I mentioned, I maintained a daily bowel program for over five years. I averaged one bowel "accident" every two to four months. I quit taking the Miralax about 18 months ago but continued with the daily Colace. In addition to the breakfast described above, I have a green salad daily and usually a good dose of whole grains. Lots of natural roughage but no supplemental fiber. I've been considering recently of starting Miralax at a much lower dose.

I guess that I don't understand constipation because I'm not plugged up. I pass a reasonable (though apparently insufficient) amount of stool each bowel adventure. So why, if things are moving, do I get this periodic purging?

I have to add how grateful I am for this forum of people who are both knowledgeable and understanding of my issues. Thank you.
    Last edited by endo_aftermath; 01-22-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mutton View Post
    I use miralax as my stool softener, which allows me to precisely control how much softener I take, so that I can maintain a relatively easy to pass stool and keep an every other day program.
    Miralax is an osmotic laxative, not a stool softener.

(KLD)

Constipation is hard dry stool that still passes. An impaction is when you are completely plugged up (which is what can happen if you don't correct constipation).

100mg. of Colace is not much...we didn't even stock the 100mg. capsules where I worked on a SCI unit. We used the 250mg. and frequently gave up to 4 capsules (1000mg.) daily.

Miralax is the same chemical as Golytely (polyethylene glycol 3350), and is a laxative, not a stool softener. I would recommend not taking it routinely, but save it for periods when you are having constipation or are close to impaction.

I suspect you are not getting 30gm. of dietary fiber daily from what you describe....more like 8-10gm. Consider adding something like ground flax seed, and bran to other foods, and fruit such as strawberries and apples are high in fiber. Iceberg lettuce is very low in fiber, and romaine is only a little better. Keep a food diary for a week, and then calculate how much fiber you are actually getting. You can add something like Benefiber or Metamucil if you can't get enough in your diet.

(KLD)