Thread: Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber

Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber

Has anyone ever used a hyperbaric oxygen chamber to help heal a wound? What does it all involve? What type of wounds will it help? Did it help? Was it worth it?
    Thanks for any info, Clint.
    "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you?"

HBOT is most indicated for treatment of wounds that have anaerobic bacterial infections, such as gas gangrene. Examples include Actinomyces, Bacteroides, Clostridium, Fusobacterium, Peptostreptococcus, Porphyromonas, Prevotella, Propionibacterium, and Veillonella.

Regardless, there are some studies indicating that HBOT (not "topical oxygen therapy") may be helpful in diabetic ulcer and chronic pressure ulcer healing for the following reasons:

• It increases oxygen transport to wound area stopping further tissue damage
    • It facilitates growth of new capillaries (angiogenesis) improving the microcirculation
    • It speeds up wound healing by reducing inflammation and swelling
    • It relieves pain
    • It reduces infection by eliminating bacteria directly and increasing capacity of white blood cell to fight infection
    • It improves microcirculation and elimination of toxins in the blood
    • It enhances the effect of some antibiotics
    • It stimulates the release of stem cells from the BM
    • It decreases blood viscosity and risk of thrombosis and stroke
    • It improves lymphatic circulation
    • It improves bone density and mineralisation and speeds up bone healing
    • It enhances peripheral nerve regeneration for improved sensitivity
    • It prepares tissue and bone for grafting before surgery
    • It speeds up healing after surgery and improves chances of graft survival.

HBOT is expensive, and is not covered by many insurances. It does not replace other methods of improving circulation and blood flow to a pressure ulcer, including electric stimulation therapy, negative pressure wound therapy, and tobacco cessation, as well as removal of pressure to the involved area (ie, staying off it).

(KLD)
    H
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Wondering if anyone else has tried this ?

Several folks I have spoken to, who used it to help with pressure sore healing, found it helped with pain and hemorrhoids. Several folks found it so good they've purchased their own units for home use.
    This is mild hyperbaric oxygen therapy (1.3 ATA, or 4psi) .... hospital units look like they do 6 bars 87 psi.

I have found a place that is 4 blocks from where I live, so I'm seriously thinking of trying it....
    not cheap $70 for an hour session, but heh it's cheaper than acupuncture.
    Getting into the device is going to be it's own interesting experiment.

I had a series of treatments for big hip and sacral wounds in 1983 but its didn't stop me needing surgery as I had gotton osteomylitis

Not really good evidence for HBO for pressure ulcers unless there is documented evidence of anerobic bacterial infection either of the wound or underlying osteomyelitis. Topical oxygen treatment also has little or no evidence to show that it helps with pressure ulcers, although may be helpful for diabetic skin ulcers.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.