Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: caster wheels

caster wheels

I wonder why now one the left 1 the bearing has slid out of place last week right now left

pic?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    pic?
    I can/t have a flip phone

My casters have internal and external spacers, which hold the bearings firmly in place. Do you have spacers?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Either no spacer or the bolt going thru the fork needs to be tightened.

Silly question . . . and Patrick would know best . . . are the days of two forward casters antiquated? Why have no manufacturers figured out a way to have one forward (maybe larger) caster?

No silly question at all. In earlier days there were chairs with just one large wheel in the front or in the back.; almost like the Freewheel. Sports chairs used them for a while but we found with sharp turns or uneven surfaces, it would tend to make the chair tip and went back to the four wheels setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    No silly question at all. In earlier days there were chairs with just one large wheel in the front or in the back.; almost like the Freewheel. Sports chairs used them for a while but we found with sharp turns or uneven surfaces, it would tend to make the chair tip and went back to the four wheels setup.
    I took an old Shadow tennis chair and modified it for an everyday chair. I changed it to have zero camber, and an eight inch pneumatic caster mounted Freewheel style. I also changed the underseat crossmember to allow the smartdrive battery clearance.

Lately I have had to finish the project with footrests and anti tippers. It has never been sideways tippy, I don't know why, it just is not. The rigors of a tennis court might be different. But the smart drive clone caused too much acceleration, so I added the anti tips.

This chair is unbelievably fast, easy to push. It rolls if the brakes are not set. I've transferred into the barber chair and the barber unlocked the brakes and moved the chair to the other side of the room. It then rolled back on it's own. Boy was he surprised, I chuckled.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Nonoise - that's a pretty cool setup and I imagine weight distribution has a lot to do with stability. The caster is out so far forward there's little weight on it.

Four wheels are inherently more stable than three. Three might be fine at slow speeds or on smooth or flat surfaces (like a tennis court), but I wouldn't want to take three outside on uneven pavement and in any kind of hurry. going straight would be okay, but watch out in turns.

If three wheels were as stable as four, all cars would have three wheels to save on costs. A few car companies have tried it. Polaris has the Slingshot and Elio Motors has it's car, but they hve two in front and one in back for stability in turns.

As an example of why you want two wheels in front, there's the Relinat Robin:

Last edited by brian; 01-23-2018 at 02:46 PM.

I remember in the early 80's I saw a chair with one large wheel under the foot rest. It was a ball, like the track balls that use to be on computers.