Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: blue parking placard :- For folks with mental health conditions ?!?!?!?

I have suggested many, many, many times to various government offices that parking spots and placards should be color coded, not all blue. There are way too many placards being issued to and abused by folks that only needed them temporarily, family members, etc.

This way wider stalls could be marked green for folks that use chairs and need wider spots, blue could be for folks with hidden disabilities or mental/cognitive/behavioral disabilities that need to be closer to the entrance but can exit the vehicle normally. Something like that?

When someone violates this parking system, fines should be substantial ($1000-2500) and enforced with vigor, the additional parking enforcement officers will easily make a months wages and cover the employers burden in a day or two and everything else could be a cash supplement for municipalities.

The general population (not all of course) of sheeple will not pay attention to things that are rarely enforced and that lack any consistent repercussion....

I have parked at the back of the parking lot against a curb so I could get out/in my car without being boxed in by someone parking over top the yellow lines or an 85 year old with a placard that has no depth perception and suffers from dementia. When you ask them to move over they shout obscenities at you. Although, to be honest, I am somewhat amused and/or entertained by these types of situations they are a pain in the arse so I agree that folks with mental disabilities should be able to obtain a placard, I just don't think they should be permitted to occupy the wide stalls we folks that require mobility devices need. I am on the same page as Funk, I don't care if the wider/larger stalls are further away, I just want to be able to get into and out of my vehicle, period.

Most lots could be easily redesigned to accommodate some larger stalls with a means of safe(ish) passage by adding an additional curb cut at another area of the sidewalk and designating that area for pedestrian crossing and having it so that visibility is maximized instead of us having to roll out from behind some 4x4 with a lift kit and 35" rubber that is in the accessible stall beside me? Apparently being a redneck is a good reason to have a blue placard now too? (I know that opens up so many jokes)

I have actually taken a side impact from a pickup truck that through me a bit and bent my rims but did not damage the chair frame (yay tilite) other than a few scratches and it is completely due to driver error and road conditions (super icy). This happened even though I was parked in the closest disabled stall to the entrance at the grocery store, so being close does not ensure safety any more or any less than being far away. Property owners need to understand and exercise universal design principles, the general public (including us wheelers!) should have situational awareness and exercise caution to ensure the safety of themselves and others.

Other than bowel and bladder issues, access to facilities and parking are the next biggest piss offs I have with being gimpy.

Thank you SCI Nurse.
    How much more wet do I have to get before I get out from rain while others just run?
    It's why I am nearly homebound in winters.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    How about 2 different placards...
    One with the wheel chair... for wheelchair users...

and then (just an idea) one with a people who have difficulty walking, so they need to be close but don't require the space etc..
    like this..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Australia talked about that but not sure they ever followed through. Wish they would do this in Canada.
    Insincere, manipulative, an idiot, selfish, vapid, biased and now a whore. Now petty. Eight personal attacks against the rules of this site.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Close to the door is critical for those of us living in northern climates, pushing in snow can be difficult depending on how well the lot has been cleaned. You also run the risk of getting stuck in ice or snow. Heck even with parking at the front I've run into difficulties just trying to the ramp or curb cut. Thankfully I'm now out of snowy territory for the most part.

Step 1: Move to Phoenix. Step 2: Get an old beater with crap paint and run flat tires. Step 3: Park across two spaces close to an entrance. Step 4: Wait for the a**holes to key your vehicle (you don't care cuz you bought a beater), stab your tires (you don't care cuz you got run flats), or break your windows (uh-oh). Step 5: Hope you die soon and come back as a hummingbird so you can have a short, happy life and not put up with the f**king human race.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Sit-N-Fly View Post
    Hope you die soon and come back as a hummingbird so you can have a short, happy life and not put up with the f**king human race.

Quote Originally Posted by Sit-N-Fly View Post
    Step 1: Move to Phoenix. Step 2: Get an old beater with crap paint and run flat tires. Step 3: Park across two spaces close to an entrance. Step 4: Wait for the a**holes to key your vehicle (you don't care cuz you bought a beater), stab your tires (you don't care cuz you got run flats), or break your windows (uh-oh). Step 5: Hope you die soon and come back as a hummingbird so you can have a short, happy life and not put up with the f**king human race.
    I live in an area where there are a few retirement communities, and I have to say, it seems like a whole lot of folks have access to parking placards because they are old and (some) overweight. I try to keep reminding myself that there are hidden disabilities, but it is really hard to try to keep up this positive attitude when so many people with placards seem to abuse the privilege.

next will be the transgender folks getting placards because not knowing which bathroom to use is a disability...