Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blue parking placard :- For folks with mental health conditions ?!?!?!?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

blue parking placard :- For folks with mental health conditions ?!?!?!?

Autism sufferers will be given Blue Badges providing free parking to drivers with 'invisible' disabilities
    Department for Transport plans will help those with mental health conditions
    People with 'invisible' disabilities such as dementia and autism to get badges
    It is hoped the proposals will enable more people to travel independently
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ue-Badges.html

This very well may be a hidden disability

Conversion Disorder
    Conversion disorder is a broad term for when mental or emotional distress causes physical symptoms without the existence of an actual physical condition.
    When you have conversion disorder, you’re not able to control your physical response. This response usually involves either your senses or your motor control. In other words, you experience a traumatic or stressful event, and your body responds with tremors, paralysis of an arm or leg, or something similar. There isn’t an underlying physical condition, like an injury, causing the tremors or paralysis. Instead, the physical condition is caused by the stress or emotional trauma.

https://www.healthline.com/health/conversion-disorder

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    This very well may be a hidden disability

Conversion Disorder
    Conversion disorder is a broad term for when mental or emotional distress causes physical symptoms without the existence of an actual physical condition.
    When you have conversion disorder, you?re not able to control your physical response. This response usually involves either your senses or your motor control. In other words, you experience a traumatic or stressful event, and your body responds with tremors, paralysis of an arm or leg, or something similar. There isn?t an underlying physical condition, like an injury, causing the tremors or paralysis. Instead, the physical condition is caused by the stress or emotional trauma.

https://www.healthline.com/health/conversion-disorder
    I love conversion disorder so much, it's friggin fascinating. It's almost always neurologic conditions like paralysis or blindness, but their nerves work. Someone who has conversion disorder which causes them blindness legitimately believes they cannot see anything, yet their eyes, optic nerves, brain and all the connections still work and will involuntarily track a striped piece of cloth moved in front of their eyes.

The best treatment we've come up with so far is to treat it like it's an actual injury ie if you have paralysis of your left leg due to conversion disorder you get sent to physical therapy and eventually your leg will get better (though it's often a slow process).

The mind is an amazing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Conversion Disorder
    Holy cow...I think you found the cure! It's really all in our heads! lol

Boy do I wish.

But back to topic, it is the UK. Liberalism at its finest. May as well just make every parking space a 'blue' space then

Fer real tho, I'm a firm proponent of hashmarked spaces to open my door waaaaaaaay in the back of the parking lot. Someone with dementia or autism who's being taken to Target by their caregiver definitely needs the space close to the door way more than I do... and I'm not sure which of you cripples needs to be right up front either?

If you really need that space right next to the entrance, maybe you need a power chair (okay that was a bit harsh, I'm sure I can envision some situations in which you would benefit from a manual chair, but have jacked up shoulders, but let's be honest, for the most part, most of us wheelchair users can get by without being right up front in the parking lot).

I certainly wouldn't want to wrangle my demented grandmother or my 250 pound autistic nephew any further than absolutely necessary.

But funklab, I have seen way too many people in wheelchairs (both power and manual) hit by careless drivers when pushing across a parking lot. This is one of the reasons that the handicapped spaces are supposed to be closest to the entrance, not just because they assure a shorter distance to get into the store or restaurant.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    the whole justification for the ADA disabled placard spaces was for wheels chairs and to get them out of the way of traffic in parking lots.
    The thinking was as we were so low down and not as maneuverable we were more prone to be struck by cars.
    There is nothing that says the space must be close to the doors of the stores. Just how many spaces there has to be depending on the size of the lot etc.
    It just turned out it was more convenient for the stores to put them close as they don't have to make a path that is safe for wheel chairs. Thereby wasting real estate. You can't be seen to encourage wheelchairs to wheel through the parking lot where the cars drive.
    In a perfect world all the ADA spots would be at the back of a lot, with a path to the door... that way the only folks coveting them would be the wheelchair folks that need the space.

"We WAS ROBBED!"

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    There is nothing that says the space must be close to the doors of the stores. Just how many spaces there has to be depending on the size of the lot etc.
    Actually, that is not correct. Here is a summary of the requirements for location of the accessible parking spaces (from the ADA website): https://www.ada.gov/restriping_parki...iping2015.html

Accessible parking spaces must be located on the shortest accessible route of travel to an accessible facility entrance. Where buildings have multiple accessible entrances with adjacent parking, the accessible parking spaces must be dispersed and located closest to the accessible entrances.

When accessible parking spaces are added in an existing parking lot or structure, locate the spaces on the most level ground close to the accessible entrance. An accessible route must always be provided from the accessible parking to the accessible entrance. An accessible route never has curbs or stairs, must be at least 3 feet wide, and has a firm, stable, slip-resistant surface. The slope along the accessible route should not be greater than 1:12 in the direction of travel.

Accessible parking spaces may be clustered in one or more facilities if equivalent or greater accessibility is provided in terms of distance from the accessible entrance, parking fees, and convenience. Van-accessible parking spaces located in parking garages may be clustered on one floor (to accommodate the 98-inch minimum vertical height requirement).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    But funklab, I have seen way too many people in wheelchairs (both power and manual) hit by careless drivers when pushing across a parking lot.
    (KLD)
    Yeah, but how many of them really got hurt?

Even irresponsible people in a parking lot are going like 10 miles an hour... I can take a sedan to the side at 10 mph. I might not be walking (or even rolling) away from it, but it won't cause any permanent damage (and their car insurance company will probably get me a new wheelchair waaaay faster than my incompetent DME).