Thread: OT/PT needed for home shower/bathroom ADA bar recommendation, Montclair NJ area

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OT/PT needed for home shower/bathroom ADA bar recommendation, Montclair NJ area

Hi:

I have what I think is a straight forward question/need, I have MS and in a wheelchair, I live in the Montclair NJ area and live in a condo and moving within the condo from one unit to another. My question/situation:
    I have ADA grab bars now for my shower and toilet area, the new unit I am moving to has a slightly different configuration thus I need an OT/PT to see what my present configuration is and see what the space is and make proper suggestions based on the layout and my abilities/needs. I set up the present ADA configuration BUT did it on my own and my needs slightly changed since. I called Kessler in West Orange NJ and they do not do home assessment consultation any longer. Tried to network on my own and have had no luck to date. I move in on February 15 and the condo has given me complete access to the new space until I move in to set up the ADA needs. Last, I just need proper guidance, I can hire a handy man to install if necessaryand I would pay direct versus insurance to avoid red tape etc,. Thank you in advance and I look forward to your ideas and suggestions... Dan
    Making soup out of mud

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    Hi:

I have what I think is a straight forward question/need, I have MS and in a wheelchair, I live in the Montclair NJ area and live in a condo and moving within the condo from one unit to another. My question/situation:
    I have ADA grab bars now for my shower and toilet area, the new unit I am moving to has a slightly different configuration thus I need an OT/PT to see what my present configuration is and see what the space is and make proper suggestions based on the layout and my abilities/needs. I set up the present ADA configuration BUT did it on my own and my needs slightly changed since. I called Kessler in West Orange NJ and they do not do home assessment consultation any longer. Tried to network on my own and have had no luck to date. I move in on February 15 and the condo has given me complete access to the new space until I move in to set up the ADA needs. Last, I just need proper guidance, I can hire a handy man to install if necessaryand I would pay direct versus insurance to avoid red tape etc,. Thank you in advance and I look forward to your ideas and suggestions... Dan
    Have you tried to find a construction company that specializes in the needs of people with disabilities? Many communities have these kinds of companies. An physical or occupational therapist may tell you what you need, but they won't know how much work might be necessary to put the proper blocking or reinforcement in behind the walls to support what you need. If all you need is grab bars, you will find requirements like height from floor etc. by doing a quick search on the internet. Just one example: http://www.adabathroom.com/grab_bar.html

A contractor that's familiar with this type of work should be able to get it done. You know what you needs are, just ty to convey them to the contractor.

I agree. There are now days a number of contractors in most areas that specialize in "aging in place" remodels who would be able to help you. You know what your needs are better than a PT or OT. If you really think you need professional guidance on this, and if your insurance pays for it, some home health agencies offer home evaluations by a PT/OT who would make recommendations for what modifications are needed, but they don't do the work, nor do they generally recommend an agency. You might also check with your local chapter of the MS Society to see if they offer any services or can recommend such a contractor.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I agree. There are now days a number of contractors in most areas that specialize in "aging in place" remodels who would be able to help you. You know what your needs are better than a PT or OT. If you really think you need professional guidance on this, and if your insurance pays for it, some home health agencies offer home evaluations by a PT/OT who would make recommendations for what modifications are needed, but they don't do the work, nor do they generally recommend an agency. You might also check with your local chapter of the MS Society to see if they offer any services or can recommend such a contractor.

(KLD)
    All/SCI Nurse: Good insight, my knee jerk is I dont know what I dont know meaning the various optional grab bars etc. though I have been looking at various bars and to your point I am starting to get a good idea.... this is a very good start!
    Making soup out of mud

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)
    SCI Nurse few things: Yes I would get the OT/PT Advice- buy the ADA grab bars, and hire a construction person to do the install- just need to work with OT on a web site based on the bathroom layout on the correct config OR if you know good web sites maybe I can do it myself. Can you send me a few Grab Bar URL sites? Thanks in advance! Thanks in advance! Daniel
    Making soup out of mud

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    SCI Nurse few things: Yes I would get the OT/PT Advice- buy the ADA grab bars, and hire a construction person to do the install- just need to work with OT on a web site based on the bathroom layout on the correct config OR if you know good web sites maybe I can do it myself. Can you send me a few Grab Bar URL sites? Thanks in advance! Thanks in advance! Daniel
    You can find these yourself by searching on the internet for ADA standards for bathrooms. Please understand that ADA standards are for public accommodations and you don't have to comply with them to the letter in your own home. What you find by doing your own search and measuring to your own needs is all you need to discuss modifications of your own space with a contractor. Just to reiterate, many communities have contractors who are aware of the ADA standards and can help you with placement and the need for reinforcement in the walls that you may need to support grab bars.

Be aware that the ADA guidelines are just that guidelines and that even public accommodation designers interpret these guidelines in many ways, and some of these interpretations by designers can be baffling for someone who needs these accommodations.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/2010ADA...Astandards.htm

https://www.ada.gov/reg3a/fig29.htm
    Last edited by gjnl; 01-21-2018 at 11:20 PM.