Thread: wrong size cushion! :(

wrong size cushion! :(

After months of waiting, finally received cushion today from MRS. Was the right one (Varilite Meridian) but wrong size! I'd signed for it before I realized it. Called them and their response wasn't very helpful. They'd written down 16x18 but ordered 16x16 saying " Well, they always send the same size cushion as the chair. BUT I went to Shepherd seating clinic and needed some overlap to support thighs while getting a shorter chair! AND they wrote down 16x18! Looks to me it's their fault. They say rather noncommittally "We'll see what we can do". I can guess nothing. If you were me would you take the cushion back to them? They said to just "Hold onto it."

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    After months of waiting, finally received cushion today from MRS. Was the right one (Varilite Meridian) but wrong size! I'd signed for it before I realized it. Called them and their response wasn't very helpful. They'd written down 16x18 but ordered 16x16 saying " Well, they always send the same size cushion as the chair. BUT I went to Shepherd seating clinic and needed some overlap to support thighs while getting a shorter chair! AND they wrote down 16x18! Looks to me it's their fault. They say rather noncommittally "We'll see what we can do". I can guess nothing. If you were me would you take the cushion back to them? They said to just "Hold onto it."
    You said you signed for the cushion before you realized it. With whom did you sign?.. a delivery person oR your durable medical equipment supplier? Who is MRS?

If your prescription for the cushion said 16 inches long and 18 inches wide and the cushion company didn't fill the prescription as written, the cushion company should make the adjustment through your supplier. Did you sign any paper work signing off on the order your durable medical supplier wrote? Was the order the supplier submitted to the manufacturer written correctly?

I'd give them a week to "see what they can do," then write a letter to the manager of the durable medical equipment supplier making a demand for them to contact the manufacturer of the cushion to replace this cushion with one that should have been ordered. Then keep following up with them regarding how things are preceding.

Just a side question. Will an 18 inch wide cushion fit your wheelchair?

In the past anytime we have signed the paper work on delivery of items ordered wrong size, brand, etc, no matter what the DME Tech or even Owner said once the paperwork was signed that was it!
    We learned hard way, never, never ever accept anything that is not only right size ordered but actually fit or is useable after we have used it to make sure before sign anything!

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    You said you signed for the cushion before you realized it. With whom did you sign?.. a delivery person oR your durable medical equipment supplier? Who is MRS?

If your prescription for the cushion said 16 inches long and 18 inches wide and the cushion company didn't fill the prescription as written, the cushion company should make the adjustment through your supplier. Did you sign any paper work signing off on the order your durable medical supplier wrote? Was the order the supplier submitted to the manufacturer written correctly?

I'd give them a week to "see what they can do," then write a letter to the manager of the durable medical equipment supplier making a demand for them to contact the manufacturer of the cushion to replace this cushion with one that should have been ordered. Then keep following up with them regarding how things are preceding.

Just a side question. Will an 18 inch wide cushion fit your wheelchair?
    I signed with the delivery person from MRS. The cushion is 16 WIDE x 18 deep (or is supposed to be). MRS is a DME who handles mostly oxygen, "hospital" chairs, scooters, etc. I called them THINKING they could just order what I needed and they are local. The person here DID say that she wrote 16x18, but she said "They always send the same size cushion as the chair." (16x16) I only talked to her on the phone; no eval, etc. I sure didn't save any time. It took 3 mos. to get this wrong size cushion! Should have just gone back to Shepherd!

Lynne,

I suggest you give Varilite a call directly - I suspect they will help you out with this.

Good luck!

Thanks Tom. I'll call them! Just tried; too early.

Called Varilite and talked to Steve. Wow, what a great guy! He's going to be a big help. More to come.
    Thanks, Tom!

The saga continues. MRS said they'd make it right and ordered the 16x18 cushion. FINALLY, today, weeks later the guy brings it out. It's the right size BUT the wrong cushion!! It's a single chamber Evolution rather than a dual chamber Meridian! Turns out this local MRS works through a MRS in another town where the "rehab" guy is. Guess it's his mistake, but ultimately it's this local MRS''s fault.
    Update! My husband was furious, just came back from there; read them the "riot act" and they've called and ordered the right size/cushion. We'll see where THIS goes.