Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Delta Airlines New Rules on Traveling with Service and Comfort Animals

Thanks! Yeah it will be interesting to hear back from the service dog organization. They usually do send emails to everyone when there are changes

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Delta Airline Forms to be uploaded to Delta, 48 hours in advance of flight.

Passenger traveling with a trained service animal: Veterinary Health Form at https://www.delta.com/content/dam/de...uiredForms.pdf
    This form must be completed by a veterinarian professional and requires Customer's Name, date of the last Rabies Vaccine, date of the last Distemper Vaccine, Animal', License number, Date of License issued, State where license issued, Name of the Veterinarian practice, phone number, printed name of the Veterinarian and his/her signature.
    Other than the fact that it might be horribly inconvenient to obtain said documentation with in 48 hrs of traveling, I don't see this violating anything explicitly stated in the ADA.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    It doesn't say that a public entity cannot ask for documentation of the animal's health or vaccination records.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing to require, but where/how is the line drawn for where/when documentation of this nature is required and by whom? Can an airline arbitrarily decide to require it or anything else they decide upon? I don't have to show anything but my dog's license and rabies tags (I think) if I were approached in public by an Animal Control officer. Does Delta now have more authority than law enforcement? What other requirements can they dictate in order to keep things up to their standards without any sort of legislation behind it?

Is this creating an additional hoop intended to discourage people with fraudulent service and/or support animals from flying with them? I hope so. But does it create some unnecessary and unfounded scrutiny for people with legitimate service animals (and otherwise abiding by the law), in my opinion, absolutely! I'm sure (or at least would like to give them the benefit of the doubt) that Delta's intentions in this are not to ultimately infringe upon our civil liberties in any way - I get what they're trying to do, but I don't they're going about it in the "right" way. Like i said, I'm in favor of [slightly] tighter regulations, but it needs to be written into law and enforced across the board... not just randomly declared by an airline... ya know, the whole equality thing....

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Quote Originally Posted by daveh0 View Post
    Other than the fact that it might be horribly inconvenient to obtain said documentation with in 48 hrs of traveling, I don't see this violating anything explicitly stated in the ADA.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing to require, but where/how is the line drawn for where/when documentation of this nature is required and by whom? Can an airline arbitrarily decide to require it or anything else they decide upon? I don't have to show anything but my dog's license and rabies tags (I think) if I were approached in public by an Animal Control officer. Does Delta now have more authority than law enforcement? What other requirements can they dictate in order to keep things up to their standards without any sort of legislation behind it?

Is this creating an additional hoop intended to discourage people with fraudulent service and/or support animals from flying with them? I hope so. But does it create some unnecessary and unfounded scrutiny for people with legitimate service animals (and otherwise abiding by the law), in my opinion, absolutely! I'm sure (or at least would like to give them the benefit of the doubt) that Delta's intentions in this are not to ultimately infringe upon our civil liberties in any way - I get what they're trying to do, but I don't they're going about it in the "right" way. Like i said, I'm in favor of [slightly] tighter regulations, but it needs to be written into law and enforced across the board... not just randomly declared by an airline... ya know, the whole equality thing....
    It will be interesting to see how these requirements hold up and if there are challenges in the courts, won't it?