Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone have RFA - Radiofrequency ablation thoughts opinions etc..

RFA is most appropriate for those who have neuropathic pain that is limited to a specific dermatome and not as much for those who have diffuse (all over body) neuropathic pain.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    RFA is most appropriate for those who have neuropathic pain that is limited to a specific dermatome and not as much for those who have diffuse (all over body) neuropathic pain.

(KLD)
    What about steroid injections? I assume that's for stenosis of sorts so also not applicable?
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Yes, steroid injections are used for root compression (peripheral neuropathic pain), not pain from a spinal cord lesion (central neuropathic pain).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Sigh.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I have pain and different pain all over the place.
    The key for the medical professionals for this was the Xray and MRI of the lower back showed arthritis of my facet joints at L3,L4, & L5.
    From there it was an experiment to see if steroid injections at those joint gave any kind of relief.

From my standpoint I don't see as there is much to lose, you either get some relief or you don't. Worst case you are where you were before the injections.

It's certainly not magic for me, but it's definitely an improvement. Interestingly it seems to have toned down some of the other pain as well, it is as though the different pains are cumulative.

I'm told the nerves grow back after the cauterization, so you eventually end up back where you were, hence you have to have it redone.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    I have pain and different pain all over the place.
    The key for the medical professionals for this was the Xray and MRI of the lower back showed arthritis of my facet joints at L3,L4, & L5.
    From there it was an experiment to see if steroid injections at those joint gave any kind of relief.

From my standpoint I don't see as there is much to lose, you either get some relief or you don't. Worst case you are where you were before the injections.

It's certainly not magic for me, but it's definitely an improvement. Interestingly it seems to have toned down some of the other pain as well, it is as though the different pains are cumulative.

I'm told the nerves grow back after the cauterization, so you eventually end up back where you were, hence you have to have it redone.
    Are you incomplete?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I am told i am incomplete.