Thread: Anyone had Permobil F3 Battery problem?

Anyone had Permobil F3 Battery problem?

I had heard that Permobil makes great chairs and I purchased a F-3 power wheelchair less than 2 years ago. How disappointing! First of all, the chair is so high. Yes, on the spec, lowest height was reasonable, but the chair is getting higher as the chair gets the tilt.

OK. Battery problem. Although I am a Quad, I use the power wheelchair only 3 ~ 5 times a month. About 7~8 months after the purchase, the power level droped quickly and suddenly. So, a tech at a DME checked it and found one battery voltage was lower than another. So, he replaced the battery under the warranty. After another 10 months, now, I am experiencing same thing. The joy stick indicates two red lights and keep blinking.
    So disappointing!!! Is it a battery problem or wheelchair problem?

Did anyone experience similar situation?
    Last edited by JK; 01-13-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Batteries should always be replaced in pairs at the same time, and balanced. If not, one battery will be over charged and the other undercharged.

oops. I am not sure if one was replaced or both. It was under the warranty and I didn't pay attention to it.

Quote Originally Posted by JK View Post
    oops. I am not sure if one was replaced or both. It was under the warranty and I didn't pay attention to it.
    Did you receive any kind of paper work from the durable medical equipment supplier about the work that was done under warranty? It should indicate what the supplier replaced.

Who was the manufacturer of the first set of batteries that cam with the chair? Who is the manufacturer(s) of the batteries you have now?

That's a good point, if the batteries are anything other than MK's they're probably junk, and even MK's have had some QC issues.

I received a Permobil m300 in December 2016. It came with MK batteries. I had a problem with the charger, the plug into the charger was too loose and was charging or not charging sporadically. Charger was replaced within days of my complaint to my durable medical equipment supplier.

ummm.. good points. I should have checked these, but I didn't. I will open the cover and check the batteries tomorrow with a care giver. I will also call the DME on Monday.

Someone already bought up battery charger. Just my 2...
    Got new with new Lester Charger. After DME replaced batteries within weeks of delievery. After second set of batteries being replaced Tech checked the new charger that came with chai. I had told them it continued to blink red but needle over night would go down all the way. The Tech had me use my old Lester Charger til shipping back/forth which Lester replaced charger.

Crap batteries, we replaced set of Universal on backup chair with off brand that local battery shop had great deal on with 6 month warranty. They made it just past 6 months. Went to Batteries Plus Bulbs and got set of Wecker(sp?) batteries for backup chair. They lasted about 2 years, IMHO: they were great for the price. But charged weekly and kept chair in spare bedroom so no exposure to temp extrmes. Also, about evey other week took it long use to run down batteries before recharging that week.

Another new chair with new batteries, don't know if DME installed or was shipped in the chair but less than 6 months batteries was on way out. When Tech pulled batteries the positive post on one was covered in with white thick powder. Tech said not charging properly due to loose connection.
    "Good Luck!"

My care giver opened a cover and I saw MK batteries in the chair.
    My joystick indicator showed only two power indicators, but my battery charger, came with the F-3 chair, indicated 85% when it was plugged in. (but I charge the batteries all night)

I called a DME and a lady at a shop said I don't charge it frequently (because I don't use it often).
    Well... I have not been successful on new chairs. 4+ years ago, I ordered an ICON manual chair, but couldn't use it because the wing & footrest were too narrow.
    With the F-3, height & batteries problem.

Good thing was my old power wheelchair was fixed by a local non-profit organization and my 9 years old Tilite manual wheelchair is still usable.
    Last edited by JK; 01-15-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Is the DME going to fix it?