Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TiLite titanium tubing diameter

TiLite titanium tubing diameter

Hey everyone - I just received a new TiLite ZRa, and was very confused at first because the tubing was way bigger than the previous titanium chairs I had (a Quickie Ti and a TR3) and at first thought they gave me an Aero Z. Seems like the larger tubing has added to the weight, so I was wondering if anyone knew when or why they made the change?
    I'm really happy with the chair in every other respect, but it is quite a bit heavier than my old Quickie Ti, and maybe is even heavier than the TR3. What gives?
    Thanks,
    Brian

For a titanium wheelchair you have to select one or the other: 1) mono tube design with a larger diameter tube like the ZR or, 2) dual tube with smaller diameter tube like the TR. The reason is that when they use 1 tube in place of 2, each tube has to be stronger.

The exception is the Quickie TI. It has a mono tube design with a smaller diameter tube. It's the only titanium wheelchair design like that as far as I know. I still have the Quickie TI and I love it. But they won't make them this way anymore. Probably because they can't support heavy weights.

Having said that, ZR and TR should be similar weights. But ZRa will be heavier because of the adjustable hardware.

Ultimately, the Quickie Ti can't be beat in terms of weight. You can strip your TiLite wheelchair of all options to get it down to the most minimal wheelchair possible and it will still outweigh the Quickie Ti.
    Last edited by August West; 01-12-2018 at 11:12 PM.

ZRA has always been larger tubing. I had one and then went to the TR series.

The titanium frame is commonly the lightest part of the chair. Weight increases due to tubing diameter is negligible IMO

That makes perfect sense!

I have only had the quickie and the TR, so this is the first time I?ve seen the larger tubing on a titanium chair.

i really loved my Quickie Ti as well, but after 12 years it was showing its age. The angle adjustment hardware on the front casters was stripped, and the bolt holding the caster to the frame was so rusted and siezed up that I could it get it off to replace the parts. Besides, I was ready for something new.

I liked the TR ok as far as the design, but the extra tubing underneath limited the size of objects I could fit in the catch-all. Tossing a gallon of milk under the quickie was no problem, but a lot more awkward in the TR. Add to that the fact that it was at least two inches too long, and it just didn?t compete with the quickie.

I will miss that smaller tubing, though, and the weight as well. The new chair is far from heavy, but noticeably more so than the quickie, that?s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    For a titanium wheelchair you have to select one or the other: 1) mono tube design with a larger diameter tube like the ZR or, 2) dual tube with smaller diameter tube like the TR. The reason is that when they use 1 tube in place of 2, each tube has to be stronger.

The exception is the Quickie TI. It has a mono tube design with a smaller diameter tube. It's the only titanium wheelchair design like that as far as I know. I still have the Quickie TI and I love it. But they won't make them this way anymore. Probably because they can't support heavy weights.

Having said that, ZR and TR should be similar weights. But ZRa will be heavier because of the adjustable hardware.

Ultimately, the Quickie Ti can't be beat in terms of weight. You can strip your TiLite wheelchair of all options to get it down to the most minimal wheelchair possible and it will still outweigh the Quickie Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    The titanium frame is commonly the lightest part of the chair. Weight increases due to tubing diameter is negligible IMO
    Nope. If weight increase due to tubing diameter is negligible, then a Quickie TI (1" mono tube) and TiLite ZR (1-1/4" mono tube) would weigh the same. But that's not the case. Quickie TI weighs significantly less.
    Last edited by August West; 01-13-2018 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taziar View Post
    The angle adjustment hardware on the front casters was stripped
    Quickie TI front caster angle is fixed. If you have hardware that makes it adjustable, then what you have may be a titanium Quickie GPV.

Blog Entries
    Quickie TI front caster angle is fixed. If you have hardware that makes it adjustable, then what you have may be a titanium Quickie GPV.
    Nope. The Ti has the same teeth/spline caster fork angle adjustment as the GT.

http://www.abletrader.com/docs/quick...ers-manual.pdf
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Interesting. I learned something. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Nope. If weight increase due to tubing diameter is negligible, then a Quickie TI (1" mono tube) and TiLite ZR (1-1/4" mono tube) would weigh the same. But that's not the case. Quickie TI weighs significantly less.

You're welcome! I had one for a short while.

Also, You can can add up their stock chair and component weights on the last page of their order form.

Mine weighed 24.4lbs setup with 4" Froglegs, adjustable back, scissor locks, adjustable back upholstery, 559 wheels, a Roho, and side guards. (Only a tenth of a pound off the order form estimate. Until the frame cracked shortly after getting it.

stephen212's nearly identically equipped ZR weighs 22.5lbs. (Well and reliably documented here in his posts) (Although he ran D's Locks and an ADI rigid backrest. Heavier options than stock Quickie Ti components)

My nearly identical handmade aluminum alloy chair, properly designed and hardened after welding, weighs 21.5lbs. Also well documented in a post of mine back in 2008, including weighing it on camera. It has 1.375" OD tubing.

Andy is right. Naked frame vs naked frame the Ti was lighter but after adding the components that make a frame into a functional wheelchair, that changes.

The effect of the tubing OD is negligible when comparing full featured chairs. Component and accessory design matters more.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments