Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: calories burned??

I found this one too and agree seems on high side.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    http://sci.washington.edu/info/forum...ition_2011.asp has useful info but I found over estimates the number of calories a high level tetraplegic can eat, 1500 keeps me at the same weight, 1200 and I slowly lose weight.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

shee 1000 for me but I have always burned cal slow

I looked into this stuff right after my injury. Unfortunately, at that point I was focused on my hope of recovery so the last thing I wanted to do to my badly-damaged body was calorie restriction. One of my doctors (a personal friend) dug into the literature and came up with a diet that he felt was suited to axon growth (higher cholesterol, fish oil and folate to mimic embryonic nutrition). Between that diet and the voracious appetite of a competitive cyclist body that didn't adjust its hunger signals, I put on about 35 lbs (165-200). It's less alarming than it sounds as 165 was my racing weight while 180 is my winter weight so really more like 20 lbs.

As an athlete I knew a bunch about general and sports nutrition. I actually would get "bod pod" bodyfat measurements every year as part of setting my nutrition plan every Spring. Another part of that evaluation was to measure my metabolic rate at rest using a breathing test. I think it measures ammonia which is a byproduct of basic metabolism. I guess I should do that evaluation again.

Anyway, I'm a spastic T3 Para (complete) and I have to keep my kcals under 1700 to keep my girth in check.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Well this thread got me motivated so I set up an appointment with the sports nutritionist and did the metabolism study again. It's not pretty.
    I went from a daily calorie allowance of around 2400 kcals to 1571 kcals on today's test. Actually my resting metabolic rate is only 1107 kcals but she's estimating 464 kcals for daily moving around, etc.

Of course any exercise adds to this but getting accurate estimates of calorie burn for "accessible" exercise is very difficult. Like, how many calories are burned by an EasyStand Glider? Even handcylces are likely estimating wrong if you use a bicycle setting since bicycling engages both back and abdomen while an SCI handcyclist might have neither.

why the big drop in kcals? just aging? how is this test done??
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    why the big drop in kcals? just aging? how is this test done??
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. The earlier tests were during my bicycle racing years pre-injury when I was doing 40 races/year and logging over 10k miles.
    The latest is ~2.5 years post-injury so no legs or core and no ridiculous training.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I looked into this stuff right after my injury. Unfortunately, at that point I was focused on my hope of recovery so the last thing I wanted to do to my badly-damaged body was calorie restriction. One of my doctors (a personal friend) dug into the literature and came up with a diet that he felt was suited to axon growth (higher cholesterol, fish oil and folate to mimic embryonic nutrition). Between that diet and the voracious appetite of a competitive cyclist body that didn't adjust its hunger signals, I put on about 35 lbs (165-200). It's less alarming than it sounds as 165 was my racing weight while 180 is my winter weight so really more like 20 lbs.

As an athlete I knew a bunch about general and sports nutrition. I actually would get "bod pod" bodyfat measurements every year as part of setting my nutrition plan every Spring. Another part of that evaluation was to measure my metabolic rate at rest using a breathing test. I think it measures ammonia which is a byproduct of basic metabolism. I guess I should do that evaluation again.

Anyway, I'm a spastic T3 Para (complete) and I have to keep my kcals under 1700 to keep my girth in check.
    If I understand your post, you were at 165 pounds pre injury at your best bicycling training weight. That still seems like a lot of weight for a competitive cyclist, unless you are really tall. Chris Froome is 6'1" and weighs about 145 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    If I understand your post, you were at 165 pounds pre injury at your best bicycling training weight. That still seems like a lot of weight for a competitive cyclist, unless you are really tall. Chris Froome is 6'1" and weighs about 145 pounds.
    Amateur competitive (cat 3) cyclist at 48 years old and an international business job! Plus I was a sprinter. Also, Froome is a doper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. The earlier tests were during my bicycle racing years pre-injury when I was doing 40 races/year and logging over 10k miles.
    The latest is ~2.5 years post-injury so no legs or core and no ridiculous training.
    ok, i missed that
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com