Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: those driving van from manual chair

  1. #31
    I drive a 2005 Toyota Sienna Braun, with an EZ lock tie down on my Tilite TRA, my EZ lock fit on an older TRA, but I had a custom bracket welded for the newer version. I use emotion M15 power assist wheels to help with the ramp. I've been using this setup since 2010. I'm a complete C5 / C6. I have always felt secure as long as the hook that locks my foot rest down and prevents me from tipping is hooked, sometimes if my tire PSI is low in my chair it is hard to get it locked. Luckily I haven't been in any major accidents, only a few at 25 mph and 35 mph and the custom bracket's have been rock solid.

    I will admit the ramp was a struggle for the first few years, but after I started handcycling and developing a work out routine it became pretty easy. I still have to be careful not to park where the ramp faces downhill, my next car will probably be a full size fan

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    Thanks for the link. My concern about driving from a wheelchair hooked up to ZX1 would be that with the EZLock on the ZX1 not the chair, what happens in a crash when the wheelchair itself is not "tied down", only the ZX1. Would the clamshell holding the wheelchair come loose? Hope someone is working on this issue.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Thanks for the link. My concern about driving from a wheelchair hooked up to ZX1 would be that with the EZLock on the ZX1 not the chair, what happens in a crash when the wheelchair itself is not "tied down", only the ZX1. Would the clamshell holding the wheelchair come loose? Hope someone is working on this issue.
    The chair could release from the clamshell with enough force at ride height but if you raise the actuator all the way up it will not. However there are weak links that may not hold up in a crash such as the 1/4" actuator pins, the actuator itself and the shock absorber. The safest way I think would be to get a manual chair ez-lock bracket and modify it to fit your chair so that it doesn't interfere with the ZX-1s attachment. This would probably involve removing the ZX-1s front caster fork/wheel, which does nothing anyway, and possibly cutting back the front frame that it attaches to. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...or-a-Tilite-TR

  4. #34
    can you post pics/vid of setup and you using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by talagaja View Post
    I drive a 2005 Toyota Sienna Braun, with an EZ lock tie down on my Tilite TRA, my EZ lock fit on an older TRA, but I had a custom bracket welded for the newer version. I use emotion M15 power assist wheels to help with the ramp. I've been using this setup since 2010. I'm a complete C5 / C6. I have always felt secure as long as the hook that locks my foot rest down and prevents me from tipping is hooked, sometimes if my tire PSI is low in my chair it is hard to get it locked. Luckily I haven't been in any major accidents, only a few at 25 mph and 35 mph and the custom bracket's have been rock solid.

    I will admit the ramp was a struggle for the first few years, but after I started handcycling and developing a work out routine it became pretty easy. I still have to be careful not to park where the ramp faces downhill, my next car will probably be a full size fan
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  5. #35
    Senior Member McDuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dallas area, Tx
    Posts
    3,410
    Just another random thought:

    I had an '05 Braun Entervan and the ramp was a tough one, a lot of times I had to put my backpack in my teeth to hang in front of me as a counterweight so I wouldn't wind up popping a wheelie, or forbid, flip over which I did once.

    My new 2016 Braun Rampvan XT has a waaaay better ramp angle, I have not felt uncomfortable with it anywhere. But as talagaja said, where you park is important.

    Always test/compare before hand.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

  6. #36
    Senior Member smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    2,103
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    my budy has one. ramp is steep for a quad.
    Fu, If you use a Smart Drive on your manual chair the ramp angle shouldn't be an issue. I needed to use my Smart Drive motor to get up the ramp and in that new Ford SUV at the Abilities Expo....a little clunky lining up the chair with the ramp and stopping quickly once I was inside the SUV. I'm sure it would be no problem after you've done it a few times.

  7. #37
    true but i dont use my zx all the time, we will stick with full size van. the explorer is sharp just to small.
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Fu, If you use a Smart Drive on your manual chair the ramp angle shouldn't be an issue. I needed to use my Smart Drive motor to get up the ramp and in that new Ford SUV at the Abilities Expo....a little clunky lining up the chair with the ramp and stopping quickly once I was inside the SUV. I'm sure it would be no problem after you've done it a few times.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  8. #38
    Im a little late seeing this thread but for what it's worth I modified an EZ lock bracket for a buddy's TR a few years ago:

    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...or-a-Tilite-TR

  9. #39
    Was speaking with a van dealer the other day. He mentioned driving from a wheelchair; the driver should have precautions against whiplash if hit from behind. Anything above the backrest is vulnerable and more violent.

Similar Threads

  1. Driving, manual chair, Bakk Flip and Lokk Up
    By wrongdog in forum Equipment
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-09-2018, 05:41 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-28-2016, 11:46 PM
  3. Driving from your manual chair.
    By JAYCUE in forum Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 01:28 PM
  4. Driving from manual chair...
    By NoDecafPlz in forum Life
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 05:30 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 07:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •