Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: those driving van from manual chair

Way back when, when I got my 1st minivan, I was gonna drive from chair. Went in for the fitting and it turned out my footrest is set too low to clear the Ezlock box on the floor. Could pop over it to get in, but getting out wouldn't work, can't pop when you're locked into the bracket and no room to do it anyway. Then I held the 10lb bracket they attach to chair for it and that settled it, no way. Been xferring to driver seat since. And was always a little worried about no head restraint in your chair.

Not sure what I'll do down the road if/when xferring becomes too much; power chair by then?
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    Ahh, no lowered floor.
    Not going to work because you'll be sitting too high in the chair, so visibility will be a problem.

You'll def need need lowered floor. I'm C5-6 and don't transfer nearly as easily as you do, and I have always transferred into the seat. First 20 years of driving I used a manual and transferred, last 25 using a power and transfer. I don't feel anywhere close to as secure or stable in my chair behind the wheel. I've tried it twice years ago in other vehicles.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

jim,
    glad to see you are still around here.
    1. I'm looking at how pol balance etc when driving from manual chair. setups.
    2. looking to see if I can do it from my chevy down the road or if I need to wait and buy new vehicle in few years.
    3. def staying full size likely merceds next

Call me next week.

tue or wed in the afternoon is usually a good time.

It will be easier to talk about it than typing back and forth.

jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Does your van have a lowered floor? If it does than you can modify to drive from the chair, but if it's the standard configuration not going to work. And if you go with an EZ lockdown type device you'll have to add a heavy steel bracket to your chair for the hold down.

Not true.

We've built lots of vans for people who drive from manual and power wheelchairs in non lowered floor vans.

It depends on the van and your seated height in the wheelchair.

jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    You'll def need need lowered floor. I'm C5-6 and don't transfer nearly as easily as you do, and I have always transferred into the seat. First 20 years of driving I used a manual and transferred, last 25 using a power and transfer. I don't feel anywhere close to as secure or stable in my chair behind the wheel. I've tried it twice years ago in other vehicles.

While its true many people need a lowered floor, many people also don't need a lowered floor.

As to feeling stable there are thing that can be done to help with this too.

especially if your in a wheelchair with suspension.

jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Hi Jim

Would you build a swing-out back support to enable stability when driving in a manual chair by order?

will do jim thx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    Call me next week.

tue or wed in the afternoon is usually a good time.

It will be easier to talk about it than typing back and forth.

jim
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

OTHERS?? brian and smokey how are your rigs setup. anyone drive from zx-1??
    I'm also wondering about driving a full size van from a ZX1. I have not yet heard of anyone doing this mod. Since I use ZX1 when I go out and about it would be great to drive with it attached. Or, doff it in the van and drive from everyday chair, but then again, I would need a tie down that did not attach to the underside of the wheelchair and obstruct the ZX1. Hopefully someone will explore this engineering challenge, 'it's not rocket science' as they say.

I remembering seeing a ezlock mod on zx1 here somewhere??
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    I'm also wondering about driving a full size van from a ZX1. I have not yet heard of anyone doing this mod. Since I use ZX1 when I go out and about it would be great to drive with it attached. Or, doff it in the van and drive from everyday chair, but then again, I would need a tie down that did not attach to the underside of the wheelchair and obstruct the ZX1. Hopefully someone will explore this engineering challenge, 'it's not rocket science' as they say.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer