Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: those driving van from manual chair

Quote Originally Posted by gps View Post
    Hi Jim

Would you build a swing-out back support to enable stability when driving in a manual chair by order?

Hi,

I'm not sure what we'd be able to do to help without you and your vehicle here in our shop.

Email me pictures of you in your chair in the drivers position so i can get an idea as to what might work for you.

sales@bridgewatermobility.com

jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    I'm also wondering about driving a full size van from a ZX1. I have not yet heard of anyone doing this mod. Since I use ZX1 when I go out and about it would be great to drive with it attached. Or, doff it in the van and drive from everyday chair, but then again, I would need a tie down that did not attach to the underside of the wheelchair and obstruct the ZX1. Hopefully someone will explore this engineering challenge, 'it's not rocket science' as they say.

Where do you live?

I'd need to see the ZX1 in the driving position.

while its not rocket science it needs to be safe and doable.

I've seen a lot of scary tie down stuff including many right here.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    OTHERS?? brian and smokey how are your rigs setup. anyone drive from zx-1??
    Fu, I'm still driving my 2004 Ford E 250. I only have 79,000 miles on it, I garage it, wash it, wax it and it is still n pristine condition. I use an EZ LOCK on my manual chair, I had the van floor lowered 6", I have a Braun Millennium lift and so on. You can't get a set-up like this anymore as Ford stopped making the econoline series of vans.

If I had to get another van or vehicle now I would look at the new Ford SUV; https://www.braunability.com/wheelch...ford-explorer/

I saw a couple of these vehicles at an Abilities Expo in Boston last September. They were pretty cool.

my budy has one. ramp is steep for a quad.
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Fu, I'm still driving my 2004 Ford E 250. I only have 79,000 miles on it, I garage it, wash it, wax it and it is still n pristine condition. I use an EZ LOCK on my manual chair, I had the van floor lowered 6", I have a Braun Millennium lift and so on. You can't get a set-up like this anymore as Ford stopped making the econoline series of vans.

If I had to get another van or vehicle now I would look at the new Ford SUV; https://www.braunability.com/wheelch...ford-explorer/

I saw a couple of these vehicles at an Abilities Expo in Boston last September. They were pretty cool.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    Where do you live?

I'd need to see the ZX1 in the driving position.

while its not rocket science it needs to be safe and doable.

I've seen a lot of scary tie down stuff including many right here.

Jim
    Thanks, but I don't have lowered floor van with drivers seat removed to show you where ZX1 would sit. I transfer to driver's seat while my ZX1 is attached to my chair. Not looking to change for near future, healing shoulder issue and not driving for the present.
    However, with the popularity of the ZX1 and plenty of aging shoulders out there it seems there could be a way to drive safely from ZX1.

The people I know who drive from a manual chair and use a ZX1 use the ZX1 to enter their van on the ramp, and then undock from the ZX1 and then either transfer to a seat, or drive from their wheelchair without the ZX1 in place. I don't know about how they work around the wheelchair tie-down (EZ-lock, etc.) on their chair when using the ZX1 (have not asked) but I know that they don't drive with an unsecured wheelchair, so there must be a work-around for this.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

john with that zx1 you would probably make it up tat ramp on the suv smokey linked up there course no were near as roomy as the full size van you have now
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

yah no prob with zx-1 but correct way to small for us. we both love our full size van. and I don't use the zx except when needed. I wouldn't want to have to depend on it to get in vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    john with that zx1 you would probably make it up tat ramp on the suv smokey linked up there course no were near as roomy as the full size van you have now
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Ford should have been sued for that triton motor and there spark plug problems and there timing chain problems. They made 3 different cylinder heads for that motor from plugs blowing outa the head. Last design they finally got it right sorta. From 2004 that 3 valve ohv engine is a piece of junk. Cost of fixing these problems are outa site. I think from 2010 they finally got it sorta right. You can google or utube the problems with this engine. Under further looking I could find that all e 150 vans had only the single OHV valve engine. But still the Orignal spark plug problem. They are suppose to be torgue to 18 ft pounds. But a good Ford guy on ytube said to tighten them till tight then 1/8 to 1/4 more and they will never loosen and blow out again. Hard to use a torque wrench on some as there is no room in a ford van. They may have put some 3 valve DOHV engines in there as I have seen 2010 vans saying 3 valve DOHC engine. But by ford they only put the SOHC in the vans. you have to see the engine in there to really find out for sure. Still Ford made a piece of junk in that modular engine. Just for info you guys. I had a 2003 with 50,000 miles and never had a problem though.
    Last edited by Art454; 01-16-2018 at 01:48 AM.
    Art