Thread: Neuropathic Pain

Neuropathic Pain

I had a c5 spinal cord injury 17 years ago. I have been experiencing increasing neuropathic pain since then. I have been taking gabapentin to treat this condition. My only problem is that that drug gives me edema in my feet which will not respond to any medication effectively. Is there any new drugs on the market that treat this condition without edema? I have tried Lyrica and that was not any better.
    mike

Tegretol may be an option, but you have to be monitored closely for side effects with blood testing, and stop if your labs indicate elevate liver function studies (LFT) or electrolyte imbalances. It can also interact with other drugs so these would need to be considered before use.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Additionally some antidepressants are effective with neuropathic pain e.g. citalopram.
    you don’t have to be depressed to take the medication

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.