Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corset

I've been using one iteration or another of this type Lumbosacral support fitted by an orthotist for over 35 years. Medicare (and many private insurance companies) will not pay for the "drugstore" velcro and elastic type binders. Supports like these (pictured below) aren't easy to find and my favorite one, also manufactured by Freeman, has been discontinued. Here is a picture of the one I am currently using and referenced above, Post 9. These supports come in sizes and lengths based on body measurements taken by a fitter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Really!?!? This is not helpful!
    Yes, really.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Thank you. May give them a try.
    Not helpful, you say?

Listen, I know this country was founded by puritans and lots of religions still preach that sex and desire = shame, but it's an industry that is poised to help when it comes to this particular need.

There's tons of off the rack corsets at women's lingerie shops and BDSM leather shops.
    Cross-dressing, while not huge, is a real thing and shops are probably used to men inquiring. I have a friend who used to work at Victoria's Secret and she said it wasn't unusual for men to come in and try things on.
    It's not uncommon for transgender women (formerly men) to buy corsets to give them a more feminine shape.

A custom corset will be very expensive, but the materials and craftsmanship means it will probably last a decade, if not longer.
    Off the rack will probably suffice, but be sure to go in and try it on. Gotta make sure it fits and gives you the support in places you need it.

This club in DC should absolutely know who you can talk to about where to get a corset, if you're willing to hop on the train:
    http://www.the-crucible.com/front.htm

I just don't think the kind of "corsets" pictured in your two links are the kind of corsets, binders, or Lumbosacral supports that Alan was thinking about when he said his previous corset "helped my balance and help me sit straighter." I don't have anything against transgender and cross dressing, I just don't think your suggestions were appropriate to what Alan is looking for, a medical corset or better described as a support or binder. If I am wrong Alan?

And Brian, if you are writing tongue in cheek, it's hard to see someone's eyes twinkle jokingly, on the written page.

I have taken to wearing a fairly conventional abdominal binder (4-panel so it goes from my hips to sternum) but I wear it over a "shapewear" shirt (basically like a sports bra but a full tank top all the way down to the hips). This prevents any rub at the edges of the binder or from the velcro on the binder.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I have taken to wearing a fairly conventional abdominal binder (4-panel so it goes from my hips to sternum) but I wear it over a "shapewear" shirt (basically like a sports bra but a full tank top all the way down to the hips). This prevents any rub at the edges of the binder or from the velcro on the binder.
    I wear my lumbosacral support over a men's undershirt. It not only cuts down on chaffing of the garment, it also helps to keep the support cleaner.

My old courses were simple things. They just had six straps across the front, and covered most of my torso. They gave me some balance, and kept me from tipping forward.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    My old courses were simple things. They just had six straps across the front, and covered most of my torso. They gave me some balance, and kept me from tipping forward.
    The ones I wore for years were much like you describe, pretty simple. But, Freeman discontinued them, and the Freeman pictured above is the best that I and an orthotist have been able to find in a few years.