Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NuMotion failed me bad

NuMotion is great with sleep apnea supplies. It's hard to screw that up.

NuMotion has no business working with custom DME. They're a COMPLETE JOKE when it comes to custom DME! They don't now what they're doing!

For the life of me, I can't understand how we have lost so much ground in this area. This is truly shameful!!!!!!!! I was injured in 1989 and it was 100x better than today.

I wouldn't say this is unique to Numotion by any means. They are a horrible, horrible company with piss poor customer service and incompetent staff, but that's par for the course in the DME market. I have yet to hear someone say they loved their DME provider and the national chains (like Numotion) are absolutely terrible when it comes to getting a custom chair.

The way I look at it is the DME provider is the punishment I have to endure so the insurance company will pay a couple thousand bucks for a new chair.

Basically it's like this:

1. It's MY job to tell the DME provider EXACTLY what I want: chair type, dimensions, options, cushion, backrest, EVERYTHING. because they aren't interested in the least in getting me what I need, and would greatly prefer to sell me a generic mobility scooter where their manhours are much less.

2. After I tell the DME provider what I want, it's MY job to call them twice weekly and prod them along (because apparently they don't have competent managers/supervisors either) until they show me that they have submitted to insurance EXACTLY what I ordered (and I expect this to take about 6-10 times going back and forth with my order and their misinterpretation of my order until they get it right).

3. After the DME finally sends the right order off to the manufacturer, it's my job to force them with extreme annoyance, multiple phone calls and emails to get the CAD drawing from the manufacturer so I can make sure that what I told them to order and confirmed that they ordered was accurately understood by the manufacturer.

4. After 12-24 months of wrangling with the incompetence of the DME it's my job to make sure my chair is properly assembled and I've received everything as ordered once the chair actually arrives.

I feel competent to do most of that now.

It's kind of like a right of passage to have a terrible, horrible chair for 5 years your first time around so you learn how to do the job the DME is supposed to do in order to get it closer to right the next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I wouldn't say this is unique to Numotion by any means. They are a horrible, horrible company with piss poor customer service and incompetent staff, but that's par for the course in the DME market. I have yet to hear someone say they loved their DME provider and the national chains (like Numotion) are absolutely terrible when it comes to getting a custom chair.

The way I look at it is the DME provider is the punishment I have to endure so the insurance company will pay a couple thousand bucks for a new chair.

1. It's MY job to tell the DME provider EXACTLY what I want: chair type, dimensions, options, cushion, backrest, EVERYTHING. because they aren't interested in the least in getting me what I need, and would greatly prefer to sell me a generic mobility scooter where their manhours are much less.

2. After I tell the DME provider what I want, it's MY job to call them twice weekly and prod them along (because apparently they don't have competent managers/supervisors either) until they show me that they have submitted to insurance EXACTLY what I ordered (and I expect this to take about 6-10 times going back and forth with my order and their misinterpretation of my order until they get it right).

3. After the DME finally sends the right order off to the manufacturer, it's my job to force them with extreme annoyance, multiple phone calls and emails to get the CAD drawing from the manufacturer so I can make sure that what I told them to order and confirmed that they ordered was accurately understood by the manufacturer.

4. After 12-24 months of wrangling with the incompetence of the DME it's my job to make sure my chair is properly assembled and I've received everything as ordered once the chair actually arrives.

It's kind of like a right of passage to have a terrible, horrible chair for 5 years your first time around so you learn how to do the job the DME is supposed to do in order to get it closer to right the next time around.
    The DMEs have also figured out that all you have to do for customer service is hire a generic low grade call center in India to fend off your customers. I suspect the insurers expect that some of us will die before they have to fill the order and thus recoup a couple K in savings.

bingo, I couldn't agree more.
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post

Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

For those of us whose first custom chair was facilitated by good staff at a facility that NuMotion is (extremely) responsive to, the real life experience of contending directly with DMEs is a big shock. I am really really conflict/confrontation averse - dealing directly with NuMotion has pretty much cured me.

Quote Originally Posted by annev308 View Post
    For those of us whose first custom chair was facilitated by good staff at a facility that NuMotion is (extremely) responsive to, the real life experience of contending directly with DMEs is a big shock. I am really really conflict/confrontation averse - dealing directly with NuMotion has pretty much cured me.
    Way to find a silver lining in your canoe while paddling up shits creek.

After reading all of your stories on this thread that I think are private insurance pay or self pay, out of pocket, I am thinking that (and I never thought I would say this) the Medicare model may be a good thing because it requires various levels of input that many individuals are not capable of doing on there own. That said, I have read enough on this forum about people getting screwed off by durable medical equipment suppliers to understand that there are a lot of people out there who are not capable of being their own advocate. In that those people are getting the short end of the stick is a major shame.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    After reading all of your stories on this thread that I think are private insurance pay or self pay, out of pocket, I am thinking that (and I never thought I would say this) the Medicare model may be a good thing because it requires various levels of input that many individuals are not capable of doing on there own. That said, I have read enough on this forum about people getting screwed off by durable medical equipment suppliers to understand that there are a lot of people out there who are not capable of being their own advocate. In that those people are getting the short end of the stick is a major shame.
    I don't think medicare helps. I have private insurance as primary, and medicare as secondary (which somehow is incredibly hard to cancel). Private insurance approved my wheelchair in 48 hours, medicare took 9 months and a lot of back and forth with the DME (each communication of which had to be initiated by myself of course). Only then did I find out that the DME not only had inaccurate dimensions, but also didn't order options I'd asked for and ordered some I hadn't asked for. So now I'm about 3 months into what I assume is going to be another 9 month back and forth with medicare, when ultimately medicare isn't going to pay anything (private insurance pays 80% and medicare covers that same 80% that private insurance already covered).

I'm not sure I credit medicare with having enough foresight to delay me getting a chair, but I'm quite sure even if it's not intentional, it's something the for profit private insurers will pick up on quite quickly. If you make it a huge hassle and a 2 year process to get a wheelchair every 5 years, you save yourself (as an insurance company) 40% of those costs just by delaying. They probably love how incompetent DME providers are, because they add delay to the process of getting a wheelchair and therefore decrease overall costs (over time).

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I'm 29 years post. I'm on my 7th chair. My last 3 are Quickie 2HPs, 16 wide x 18 deep. Why the hell did NuMotion (and the accompanying PT) order me a 17 x 18? They simply threw in the extra inch because they thought my arse would expand in the 6 months it would take them to get it in hand. I've got awesome private insurance. NuMotion JUST SUCKS!

didn't they give you the final order form and invoice with specs? did you refuse the chair? just not acceptable at all, they are terrible.
    even though I'm a dealer I still u7se a dme for my insurance, but I TELL THEM what to order, they don't tell me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    I'm 29 years post. I'm on my 7th chair. My last 3 are Quickie 2HPs, 16 wide x 18 deep. Why the hell did NuMotion (and the accompanying PT) order me a 17 x 18? They simply threw in the extra inch because they thought my arse would expand in the 6 months it would take them to get it in hand. I've got awesome private insurance. NuMotion JUST SUCKS!
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer