Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NuMotion failed me bad

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    I'm 29 years post. I'm on my 7th chair. My last 3 are Quickie 2HPs, 16 wide x 18 deep. Why the hell did NuMotion (and the accompanying PT) order me a 17 x 18? They simply threw in the extra inch because they thought my arse would expand in the 6 months it would take them to get it in hand. I've got awesome private insurance. NuMotion JUST SUCKS!
    Wow. I'm 22 1/2 post injury and using my 2nd and 3rd chairs. I am 14mos into process on my 4th chair and hope I have it by spring and hope it fits! This really is a PITA!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Patton57...no I didn't sign anything.

I got my latest chair in late 2016. Evaluation by a physical therapist was in late October. I got the chair the last week of December 2016, about 2-1/2 months. I'm a c6/7 quad needing a complex Class 3 chair, and they are very expensive. The durable medical equipment supplier I used knew his stuff and was willing to listen to my concerns and answer all of my questions about specifications on the chair. The chair was delivered to my home by the supplier. It took about a month and a half to tweak a few things and I had a bad battery charger. The supplier delivered the new charger to me and did all the tweaks in my home, which took 4 visits.

The order form including all of the specifications and equipment was 4 pages long. I read every line and made lists of questions that I needed to have answers to. And when the order form had to be changed, I reread every line on all four pagers again to make sure nothing slipped between the cracks. With a lot of hand holding and babysitting, I think I made the system work for me. That said, I give Access Medical (a multi-state company like NuMotion) a great deal of credit for their quality of service and knowing exactly how Medicare works. This company only supplies Class 3 and 4 chairs.

I really liked the NuMotion rep and my PT. They wre competent. We were all in agreement and then a 17 x 18 came in instead a 16 x 18. I'm telling you it was arse inflation. Damn it I'm a 16 not a 17!

I really liked the NuMotion rep and my PT. They wre competent. We were all in agreement and then a 17 x 18 came in instead a 16 x 18. I'm telling you it was arse inflation. Damn it I'm a 16 not a 17!
    Is it too late to send it back? If so why don't you fix up one of your old ones. You can order new fabric for the seat and back and easily replace them. Then swap all wheels, brakes, tippers, footrests (probably) with the new one. Then stick the new one on craigslist dirt cheap.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Is it too late to send it back? If so why don't you fix up one of your old ones. You can order new fabric for the seat and back and easily replace them. Then swap all wheels, brakes, tippers, footrests (probably) with the new one. Then stick the new one on craigslist dirt cheap.
    They did not provide a new chair nor return it but instead proposed adding an extender to the cross joints. This effectively raises the chair a little more than an inch but allows them to drop and inch from the width.

They did not provide a new chair nor return it but instead proposed adding an extender to the cross joints. This effectively raises the chair a little more than an inch but allows them to drop and inch from the width.
    Well, I would not want my chair raised an inch to fix someone else's mistake. My I-Glide is an inch wider than the rest of my chairs and dammit when I use it in the house, the casters have a way of whacking the door jams no matter how careful I am. I-Glides are rare. I have no choice if I want to use it. But you have two old chairs that are eligible for new parts. All my chairs are old. I've been in a chair since 2011, short time, I know, but the chairs I use are all hand me downs I've purchased off the web and fixed up. Yours could be rebuilt with new parts you've already got except the seat and back.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Well, I would not want my chair raised an inch to fix someone else's mistake. My I-Glide is an inch wider than the rest of my chairs and dammit when I use it in the house, the casters have a way of whacking the door jams no matter how careful I am. I-Glides are rare. I have no choice if I want to use it. But you have two old chairs that are eligible for new parts. All my chairs are old. I've been in a chair since 2011, short time, I know, but the chairs I use are all hand me downs I've purchased off the web and fixed up. Yours could be rebuilt with new parts you've already got except the seat and back.
    Thanks for the response nonoise. Actually, once the old chairs loosen up it is hard to tighten them back up. I push my chair several miles a day and get a lot out of them before replacing them. After 5 years of 16/7/365, they're worn pretty good and my PT and DME vendor rep totally agree. I like your resourcefulness though!

You're worthy of a new chair. Don't sell youself short, get what you need from whatever insurer you have.

Haven't dealt with private insurance for some time, but don't the insurers own some responsibility for you getting the chair you need? If the insurance company is paying for a chair and it isn't right, seems to me they have been defrauded and would have an interest in holding the durable medical equipment supplier's feet to the fire.

That said...what about contacting the wheelchair manufacturer directly...I mean to the top (letter to President/CEO) to complain about the chair that was delivered vs. the chair that should have been delivered?

Thanks for the response nonoise. Actually, once the old chairs loosen up it is hard to tighten them back up. I push my chair several miles a day and get a lot out of them before replacing them. After 5 years of 16/7/365, they're worn pretty good and my PT and DME vendor rep totally agree. I like your resourcefulness though!

You're worthy of a new chair. Don't sell youself short, get what you need from whatever insurer you have.
    Thanks for the compliment, but I have some awesome chairs. Brand new cushions would be nice though.

My responses were meant to be a compromise with the DME, but with the mileage you use, you have leverage to force them to replace the frame. Adding spacers does not fix it.

I know the wheelchair sides are parallel when it it closed and open but watch the rear wheels during the unfolding process. It is pretty amazing what actually happens how crooked they get. Your DME is proposing you ride a chair that is not fully open.

Consider the following. Because the chair seat with the spacers will not sit down where it belongs the frame will not be in it's fully open position....

Not open means the sides will not be parallel causing the wheels to not be in their proper vertical position. If you ordered zero camber, you would get *negative* camber because the top of the wheels will be (edit) further apart than the bottom of the wheels.

Before posting I started to doubt myself, so I tested this on my own Quickie 2. I used an 1 1/4 spacer to raise the seat. My rear wheels ended up with one inch of negative camber.

You can do the same experiment with your old chair.

I did not try to measure it, but the caster steering axle would have a camber issue too, and there is no adjustment for them.

Also your back fabric has no adjustment tightening adjustment. You have a good case for replacement.
    Last edited by nonoise; 01-10-2018 at 02:32 AM.