Thread: got stent in ureter 2 sos ago, still bleeding

got stent in ureter 2 sos ago, still bleeding

Because one kidney ureter was flowing much less than the other, my urologist at Kessler sent me to the nearby urologist he sends patients to for suprapubic catheter surgery etc.
    (he in fact did mine ~8 years ago)

Now i went there again for the stent Nov 16th. Two weeks later i returned for post surgery visit. He shuffles his notes, play with his laptop, and tells me _I was unable to put a stent in due to your physiology but your post renal scan shows it's fine now. I was buzzed after being on propopol, but my wife wasn't and she left with a clear impression that i now had one!

Later I was at Kessler to see Dr Kirshblum for a letter of necessity for a new wheelchair which started 14 mos ago! So I went to visit my urologist and show him my pre/post renal scans and ask him WTF goes on with the surgical urologist who's uncommunicative except to tell me I DIDN't have a stent.
    So Linsemeyer called him and now he say's I HAVE a stent!

Knowing I have a stent, my next move was to find out what next from the surgical guy. I took two days of numerous calls to his office and left messages, talks with office mgr before a call back the second eve. He recommends an X ray "to check stent positioning" and I get one; I HAVE a stent.

Meanwhile, it's been in 2 months and I'm still getting daily blood in my urine, enough so it's always brown, sometimes pinkish.
    Whatever he says, I wouldn't trust at this point. I have no faith in someone who can tell me such bullshit and then not contact me to apologize or make amends.

QUESTIONs:
    how long do these things get left in?
    is this bleeding normal and what to do?
    I have a hunch that if I was sensate, I'd be in a lot of pain, I have a gut feeling! (pun partially intended)
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I remember reading about these ureter stents a couple times on this forum. If I remember correctly, pain was a common complaint as was bleeding. But excessive bleeding, dark red urine is not normal and you need to deal with that right away. Pinkish urine seemed to be considered normal. These kinds of stents are not placed for a long time, usually just 4-6 weeks, sometime a couple of months.

I had one for 2 mths last summer. my ureter was not letting right kidney drain due to scar tissue build up this was causing hydronephrosis and bad uti's . it was a bitch, I'm not going to sugar coat it. pain, AD, cramping ughh. however, I'm happy to report no uti since its removal 5 mths ago. I had a constant uti entire time from stent being colonized.
    3 post stent removal ultrasounds showing no hydronephrosis and normal kidney.
    best of luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Because one kidney ureter was flowing much less than the other, my urologist at Kessler sent me to the nearby urologist he sends patients to for suprapubic catheter surgery etc.
    (he in fact did mine ~8 years ago)

Now i went there again for the stent Nov 16th. Two weeks later i returned for post surgery visit. He shuffles his notes, play with his laptop, and tells me _I was unable to put a stent in due to your physiology but your post renal scan shows it's fine now. I was buzzed after being on propopol, but my wife wasn't and she left with a clear impression that i now had one!

Later I was at Kessler to see Dr Kirshblum for a letter of necessity for a new wheelchair which started 14 mos ago! So I went to visit my urologist and show him my pre/post renal scans and ask him WTF goes on with the surgical urologist who's uncommunicative except to tell me I DIDN't have a stent.
    So Linsemeyer called him and now he say's I HAVE a stent!

Knowing I have a stent, my next move was to find out what next from the surgical guy. I took two days of numerous calls to his office and left messages, talks with office mgr before a call back the second eve. He recommends an X ray "to check stent positioning" and I get one; I HAVE a stent.

Meanwhile, it's been in 2 months and I'm still getting daily blood in my urine, enough so it's always brown, sometimes pinkish.
    Whatever he says, I wouldn't trust at this point. I have no faith in someone who can tell me such bullshit and then not contact me to apologize or make amends.

QUESTIONs:
    how long do these things get left in?
    is this bleeding normal and what to do?
    I have a hunch that if I was sensate, I'd be in a lot of pain, I have a gut feeling! (pun partially intended)
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Mine was in for 2 weeks after a kidney stone removal surgery. Bleeding stopped after 4 days.

I know what you mean. You have to stay on top of doctors because they are notorious for not following up on their own. It is not uncommon for them to be absent-minded and unreliable. Not good traits for doctors. I guess they take on too much. No one can remember everything. But if their memory issues are pattern behavior, it's time to consider getting a new doctor. One time I had to remind a doctor where he kept his owns supplies. That was really bad. Because I had already been thinking this guy is showing early signs of dementia. Thank God my primary care doctor is sharp as a tack.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Mine was in for 2 weeks after a kidney stone removal surgery. Bleeding stopped after 4 days.

I know what you mean. You have to stay on top of doctors because they are notorious for not following up on their own. It is not uncommon for them to be absent-minded and unreliable. Not good traits for doctors. I guess they take on too much. No one can remember everything. But if their memory issues are pattern behavior, it's time to consider getting a new doctor. One time I had to remind a doctor where he kept his owns supplies. That was really bad. Because I had already been thinking this guy is showing early signs of dementia. Thank God my primary care doctor is sharp as a tack.
    Nurse told me my procedure took 23 minutes. I hunch this guy is like the flat-rate tech at the dealership who makes 80 hours a week by not doing half the shit he's supposed to do!
    As soon as this is completed, he's off my "team". I was paralyzed by a doctor who didn't listen! And that wasn't the only time! When I smell a poor practitioner, I move on. All my doc are good communicators and capable of owning their mistakes; they know who I am and respect me. They are also excellent practitioners.
    A retired mechanic/shop owner, I've realized they're just like car mechanics. Too many are not capable of admitting they are wrong, are not teachable, have be-perfect drivers, are alcoholic/addicts, are incompetent or have low integrity. Fortunately none of these are in the majority but sometimes I have to wonder!
    Last edited by pfcs49; 01-08-2018 at 01:09 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Sorry to hear that. I try to be optimistic when it comes to my doctors. Because it's better than the alternative. But sometimes it is clear when one needs to be avoided. Besides the red flags that we have both seen, another red flag is when they try to get you to visit them on a weekly basis for no reason other than to make more money. The good thing about HMOs is that quacks and doctors trying to milk the system are filtered out.

It is worth seeking medical care to get this checked out. Long term bleeding is not normal.

i know how hard it is to go back to anyone who has tainted your trust. But you need to let the surgeon who performed the surgery of the outcome.

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I had a Urolume urethral (not ureteral) stent put in some years back and I was still bleeding a year after the insertion. Not to mention pieces of tissue sloughing off on a regular basis. Not trusting the doctor who put it in to take it out I travelled down to Philadelphia to have it taken out. Turns out removal of these things can be quite ugly and mine was. My urine looked like tomato juice for two days.