Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sure Hands Thigh Hooks

Sure Hands Thigh Hooks

I am interested in getting the Sure Hands body support that kind of squeezes your ribs and has these hooks that go under your thighs. I have the ceiling lift and sling but I think the body support with the thigh hooks would be easier. My wife is extremely concerned that I will "snap a femur" because that hooks support the thigh and like most SCI folks I have osteoporosis or osteopenia. I think she is wacky. Anyone here have a setup like this and had any problems with broken femurs? Thanks.

https://www.surehands.com/products/s...rt/#highlights

I have and use the sure hands body hoist. For the most part, it works well. I don't seem to have any problem with the leg support. My problem is with the scissor like chest mechanism. Seems to me that it gets hold of me and push's against my ribs and chest. Can get a little uncomfortable. Other than that, I am happy with it and, its performance.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

I don't own one but have used them to get in and out of sailboats. I felt secure and most of the load seems to be into the armpits. The leg hooks seemed to just support the lower legs.

My mother had one, and used it exclusively for many years, and also had pretty severe osteoporosis. The only time she could not use it was when she had a femur fracture and her physician would not let her us it. Most fabric slings of the "hygiene" type only go under your thighs in a very narrow band as well, so probably just as much pressure.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Been using one for years with no problem. Just be sure to et it under the armpits.

Most of the weight should be supported through the thigh hooks, partially through the trunk support. It should not ride up into your armpits if properly adjusted for you. Excessive pressure in your armpits can cause brachial plexus injury and even cause shoulder dislocation in those with weak shoulder muscles.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Amazing Nobody could figure out why I was having problems with my arms.

smokey, do you have high ceilings? I tried one and it didn't get me as high as i'd like. I use the low back arjo hygiene sling super easy to use as a quad solo.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have the body support system when I first got my lift. However, after a period of time I started experiencing very bad shoulder pain when I was in the lift. I since went to their basic sling, I believe is called the hygiene sling. Not a problem to get in, though definitely not as easy as the body support brace.

If you are quad with weak shoulders, especially the shoulder depressing muscles I wouldn't get the body support brace. Even if your shoulders are decent, you may not wish to get the body support system. Either way, if you get it and it's no good, it's a $900 mistake.

Fu, I believe I have "your basic ceiling heights" in my house as it was built in 1987. The sling seems like a bit or an ordeal to crawl in and out of.....but I haven't used it that much yet.