Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sure Hands Thigh Hooks

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Fu, I believe I have "your basic ceiling heights" in my house as it was built in 1987. The sling seems like a bit or an ordeal to crawl in and out of.....but I haven't used it that much yet.
    Are you talking about the Sure hands or the Arjo?

What do you mean by crawl into?

Fu, I believe I have "your basic ceiling heights" in my house as it was built in 1987. The sling seems like a bit or an ordeal to crawl in and out of.....but I haven't used it that much yet.
    nah, its super easy. I just drop it behind my back then stick the leg ends under each thigh. your ass hangs out.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

John, is this what you use for your bike too?

same type of sling john except I use a mesh bath sling to get in/out of my HC. Both are u-slings
    Quote Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
    John, is this what you use for your bike too?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Are you talking about the Sure hands or the Arjo?

What do you mean by crawl into?
    Wes, I am talking about the Sure Hands sling. It isn't really "an ordeal" to get into it fro my chair to the bed but to go from the bed to the chair I gotta roll to my side and have my old lady tuck it behind me, roll back and then work the slings under each thigh.

this arjo is simple in bed too. I just toss behind my back when in long sitting then jam under my legs. hook up to lift bar and push button up then over.
    https://www.livewellmedical.com/pati...SABEgKNrPD_BwE

Wes, I am talking about the Sure Hands sling. It isn't really "an ordeal" to get into it fro my chair to the bed but to go from the bed to the chair I gotta roll to my side and have my old lady tuck it behind me, roll back and then work the slings under each thigh.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

My husband who has hemiplegia and a previous femur fracture uses the Surehands. Like others have said, the pressure on his ribs is more uncomfortable than the thigh supports. You can also get padding for the thigh supports, but I think it would make it more difficult to use. I would highly suggest you arrange a demo before you decide. They attach it to a standard lift so that you can try it out.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I have a question about the thigh supports for any of you who are using the Surehands body support.

When they installed it they said the thigh supports should be used on the inside of the user's thighs. I was just reading the documentation closer and it says the following:

If you want to fit the thigh supports to the inside of the user's thighs, attach the thigh supports to the body support so that they face outward.

If you want to fit the thigh supports to the outside of the user's thighs, attach
    the thigh supports to the body support so that they face inward.
    My husband legs tend to clench together, sometimes making it harder to put on the thigh supports. I'm wondering if there are any pros/cons for fitting the thigh supports to the outside of the user's thighs. I think it would make it easier for both him and caregivers. Any input?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

We had one for my mother, and she found it much more comfortable using the thigh supports with them outside her thighs. I think it is an individual thing. In an additional note, she found the thigh supports were very cold, so in the winter we covered each with an athletic sock which made them more comfortable as well.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks for the input @KLD. I think I will give it a go with the thigh supports outside. I like the idea about the socks.