Thread: Numotion refuses to help me get a Permobil F5?

Numotion refuses to help me get a Permobil F5?

First off, is it illegal for them to just shut me down like that? I asked my local representative about getting a F5 wheelchair but he told me it would be too much trouble and that it wouldn?t even be guaranteed. He also said, and I quote, ?it wouldn?t be worth it for me to go through all this for you.? I would assume that he speaking about commission.

I would think that this is legal because all businesses have the right to deny service but I just wanted to check.

So I guess into the nitty-gritty. I live in San Francisco, California and my insurance is Medicare and Medi-Cal. I know that the F5 wheelchair is group 4 while Medicare and Medi-Cal only pay for group 3 wheelchairs. The thing that I asked the person at Numotion to help me with was seeing whether or not I would be able to apply for the F5 and simply pay the difference. The representative who called me a just straight up denied it.

What should I do in this situation? I would highly prefer a full standing wheelchair but I most likely would not be able to afford paying full price. I have checked craigslist near me but I can?t find anything secondhand. I found one wheelchair repair shop in the East Bay near me but they don?t stock these things either.

The representative did say that if I wanted to bump down to an F3 wheelchair with partial standing that he could help me with that.

The representative also mentioned that even in a best case scenario where he went through the entire process with me which would take over a year, I would still need to pay $18,000 in difference between a F5 and F3.That just does not feel accurate to me. Five years ago when I got my M 300, the total bill was $55,000. Just a month ago, a guy that I speak with got his F5 for $60,000. All options fully loaded the price difference should not be that drastic right?

I?m in need of a pretty urgent wheelchair replacement too. It?s not like anything is broken or what not but it just does not fit me properly anymore. The seat depth is too short, The chest laterals are broken, the armrests are twisted out of place and various other things. The technician said that all the electronics on my wheelchair are perfectly fine but the various things that I do need to replace will add up to quite a sum. Everybody and their mother has been recommending that I hold off on replacing these things because if I do then I will not qualify for a brand new wheelchair.

What should I do in this situation? Continue to pursue the F5? I wouldn?t know how to do so since Numotion has refused to work with me. Change to an F3 instead? I?m open to this if I?m not able to get the five but I really want a full standing power wheelchair. Buy used? I haven?t seen any near me and the ones that I have seen online are not really Taylor to my injury. They seem more for a manual wheelchair users than a quadriplegic in a power chair

So I’m not the most experienced wheelchair obtainer and I have had many many frustrating experiences with NuMotion. That said, it’s my understanding that wheelchair replacement is done every five years or with a “significant” change of status, and it’s been my experience that getting what I need from NuMotion, even in terms of repairs, requires the involvement of PTs and OTs, so that the prescriptions and LMNs are pretty comprehensive from the outset. Have you got clinical folks who can advocate for you and deal with NuMotion? It seems to me that NuMotion is more responsive to institutions than to people, and the larger the facility the more they listen. If you purchase something used, be prepared to spend on getting it fitted and customized for your own needs.

Quote Originally Posted by annev308 View Post
    So I’m not the most experienced wheelchair obtainer and I have had many many frustrating experiences with NuMotion. That said, it’s my understanding that wheelchair replacement is done every five years or with a “significant” change of status, and it’s been my experience that getting what I need from NuMotion, even in terms of repairs, requires the involvement of PTs and OTs, so that the prescriptions and LMNs are pretty comprehensive from the outset. Have you got clinical folks who can advocate for you and deal with NuMotion? It seems to me that NuMotion is more responsive to institutions than to people, and the larger the facility the more they listen. If you purchase something used, be prepared to spend on getting it fitted and customized for your own needs.
    The physical therapist that I work with threw that ball straight back to me. I asked her and she just referred me to him. I wouldn’t know where else to go because in my local area Numotion is the only one that takes Medicare and Medi-Cal.

Sending you a private message. I don't want to get into the personalities and service issues that you are experiencing here.

Thanks