Thread: Wink or SmartThings?

Wink or SmartThings?

I received a Yale digital deadbolt lock for Christmas. To link it to my Amazon Echo I need either a Wink or SmartThings hub. I'm not very familiar with either. I'd like to spend as little as necessary if I just require the hub for only the lock but if there's a chance I'll need one for something else I'll invest in a better option...

So which is better considering what I might need to use it for?

I have used Vera for almost 10 years. Might want to add it to your research. I have a Vera Plus and it is rock solid. The Yale digital deadbolt is excellent and well built. Batteries last me about 2 years without the auto-lock feature. They now have Z-Wave light bulbs that are around $25 that screw in and are controlled with the hub without a module or switch.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Yale informed me that I need either Wink or SmartThings to connect to the Echo. What all devices do you have connected to your home?

I have the door lock, multiple switches, outlet modules, outlets and a light bulb. My Echo connects to Vera which controls the Yale lock. I also have an Ecobee thermostat and Rainmachine sprinkler controller which I could pull into Vera but just use their separate apps. I just got the Echo for Christmas and I haven't connected everything yet. It makes me a little nervous that it is always listening.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

The Amazon Echo is not always listening. You can use a program called Wireshark to measure your upstream bandwidth. The Echo is listening for the wake word, "Alexa." I know there was a problem with the newly released Google Home Mini but this was a review unit (was always listening) which was resolved by Google.
    Rock bottom is relative to how high you bounce when you hit.
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I ordered a SmartThings 2 hub. It was reviewed well, has a battery backup, works with a lot of devices and the price was decent.