Thread: Wink or SmartThings?

Wink or SmartThings?

I received a Yale digital deadbolt lock for Christmas. To link it to my Amazon Echo I need either a Wink or SmartThings hub. I'm not very familiar with either. I'd like to spend as little as necessary if I just require the hub for only the lock but if there's a chance I'll need one for something else I'll invest in a better option...

So which is better considering what I might need to use it for?

I have used Vera for almost 10 years. Might want to add it to your research. I have a Vera Plus and it is rock solid. The Yale digital deadbolt is excellent and well built. Batteries last me about 2 years without the auto-lock feature. They now have Z-Wave light bulbs that are around $25 that screw in and are controlled with the hub without a module or switch.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Yale informed me that I need either Wink or SmartThings to connect to the Echo. What all devices do you have connected to your home?

I have the door lock, multiple switches, outlet modules, outlets and a light bulb. My Echo connects to Vera which controls the Yale lock. I also have an Ecobee thermostat and Rainmachine sprinkler controller which I could pull into Vera but just use their separate apps. I just got the Echo for Christmas and I haven't connected everything yet. It makes me a little nervous that it is always listening.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

The Amazon Echo is not always listening. You can use a program called Wireshark to measure your upstream bandwidth. The Echo is listening for the wake word, "Alexa." I know there was a problem with the newly released Google Home Mini but this was a review unit (was always listening) which was resolved by Google.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I ordered a SmartThings 2 hub. It was reviewed well, has a battery backup, works with a lot of devices and the price was decent.