Thread: Diaphragm strengthening?

Diaphragm strengthening?

Is it possible to strengthen your diaphragm after being paralyzed for over 30 years? Are there any breathing devices to use? I recently had a bad bout of bronchitis and had to spend some time in the hospital. Luckily, I was able to get a cough assist machine that really helped. I'm hoping somehow I can avoid that the next time by doing some breathing exercises. Thank you!

I recently had diaphragmatic hernia surgery, this is the device I used- https://www.expressmed.com/product/s...xoCQa0QAvD_BwE

You can try using an IMT (inspiratory muscle trainer) which works much better than the incentive spirometer above:

The old P-Flex is no longer being made...sad, as I used those with my clients for many years. A close replacement would be one of these:

https://www.bettymills.com/respirato...BoCSBsQAvD_BwE

https://www.medshop.com/respironics-...BoCLeEQAvD_BwE

You probably will need to use the nose clamp when using this, otherwise you can "cheat" by breathing through your nose. Use starting at the largest (least resistance) setting, and once you can do this comfortably for 10 minutes, several times daily, then go to the next smaller opening (more resistance).

You can also use sand-bag type weights to help with this. Lay on your back and place a 3-5 lb. sandbag (you can use a bag of flour or sugar too) on your abdomen just above your belly button. Breathe normally and stop when you feel short of breath. Gradually increase your time.

Also be sure to get your annual flu shot, and a Prevnar 23 pneumonia immunization if you have not already done so.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thank you so much for your response. I was looking at those on the website. Have you heard anything about expand a lung?? It seems to get very good reviews.

Expand a lung provides both inspiratory and expiratory resistance. This may be problematic for someone with a SCI, as the expiratory muscles (abdominals and intercostals) may not be working or able to function against this resistance. This is why an inspiratory only resistance device is recommended for those with SCI. The diaphragm provides little of the power of expiration; only inspiration.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I'm glad I asked… I almost bought it. Thank you again for the extremely helpful information. I will definitely buy the other one you recommended.

I have used some of the breathing exercisers listed above. Years ago I would lay on my back with a 10 lb weight on my diaphragm and try to take deep breaths. Don't know if it's a common practice but it was old school therapy.
    ^^(A)^^

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    I have used some of the breathing exercisers listed above. Years ago I would lay on my back with a 10 lb weight on my diaphragm and try to take deep breaths. Don't know if it's a common practice but it was old school therapy.
    Did same

Still practiced today. I would start with less weight and gradually build up to 10 lbs. Fatiguing the diaphragm is not going to help it get stronger and may mak matters worse.
    ckf