Thread: Suprapubic Vs. Mitrifanoff for Men

Suprapubic Vs. Mitrifanoff for Men

Hey Guys, I am forty year-old male and I have a c5-c6 incomplete. I have tests and a consultation at Kessler in New Jersey in February to see if I'm a candidate for a suprapubic or mitrofanoff procedure. Could some of you weigh in on your experiences? Pros? Cons? Has your life/health improved?

A supra pubic procedure and a mitrofanoff procedure are not in any way equivalent procedures. A supra pubic placement is a one day, out patient, short recovery...done and you are on your way, with the first change of catheter at your doctor's office. Your doctor's staff will teach you or your caregivers how to change the catheter, you drain into a leg bag/night drain bag, if you can keep a closed system...done.

A Mitronfanoff procedure, is a bigger deal on the surgery side and requires that you or a caregiver can cath you every 4 to 6 hours, much like an intermittent catheterization program.

Personally, I would opt for the baby step of a simple supra pubic placement and see how that works for you before plunging into the Mitrofanoff procedure. You will need more attendant support if you go with the Mitrofanoff procedure, because of the need for intermittent catheterization. The support you will need with the supra pubic is someone to change it once a month, someone to clean the stoma site, usually twice a day, and someone to empty and clean the leg bag and/or the night drain bag, depending if you can keep a closed system or not.

Two very different approaches to neurogenic bladder management. The Mitronfanoff procedure is a much bigger deal with a longer recovery period. You also need to be able to self cath or have a caregiver to cath you, probably every 4-6 hours. As gjnl said, the suprapubic is simpler and easier to manage, but comes with it's own set of issues. I have had patients who have had both procedures. All have said they have pros and cons to them.

Not knowing your caregiver situation, it is difficult to say which procedure to focus on. Think this information over and if you have further questions, feel free to ask.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

c5/c6 may make it difficult to cath. i'm c7 and it's not so easy, especially with winter clothing and/or having to do it in locations other than one's bathroom.

I would say practice your technique before you make the commitment.

Also, it is not without problems. I had a small bowel obstruction years later that required surgery that was most definitely the result of surgical adhesions post mitrofanoff. Are you getting augmentation as well? Doing the mitro only may leave you with a bigger problem than before.

Also, the original part of my bladder still retained very strong bladder contractions postsurgery, so that I now require annual Botox and even that is only partially effective. I void out the stoma at least once per day, at times and in locations that it is not at all convenient.