Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: legs laying on downtubes in chair

  1. #11
    Doesn't that looks odd? Ideally, the strap would attach to a loop on the inside of each pant leg so it would be out of sight. But then the pants would be pulled inward and that would look odd. We need to figure out something that is both practical and stylish.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Doesn't that looks odd? Ideally, the strap would attach to a loop on the inside of each pant leg so it would be out of sight. But then the pants would be pulled inward and that would look odd. We need to figure out something that is both practical and stylish.
    Well, my mother wore dresses, and kept hers underneath her skirt on her thighs. I have seen men wearing them though, and especially if made from the same color of their slacks, they really are not noticeable. External rotation of the leg comes from the hip, not the knee, so you can control it much better with something that works on the thighs, not the lower legs.

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  3. #13
    thx all.
    any good stretch for hips mine do seem tighter. I stand daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Well, my mother wore dresses, and kept hers underneath her skirt on her thighs. I have seen men wearing them though, and especially if made from the same color of their slacks, they really are not noticeable. External rotation of the leg comes from the hip, not the knee, so you can control it much better with something that works on the thighs, not the lower legs.

    (KLD)
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  4. #14
    You would need to do a stretch of external rotation. This does not occur with standing, but can be done when laying down and rolling the entire leg inward (not just the foot). Also look at the position of your legs when laying on your back. If you are not using a foot protector that maintains your leg in neutral position, and your legs are rolling outwards, this promotes external rotation contractures (and can also put your outer ankle bones and little pinkie side of your foot at risk for pressure injury).

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    foot protector that maintains your leg in neutral position, and your legs are rolling outwards, this promotes external rotation contractures (and can also put your outer ankle bones and little pinkie side of your foot at risk for pressure injury).

    (KLD)

    Could you explain this a little more? What kind of foot protector would maintain this neutral position?

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If you are not using a foot protector that maintains your leg in neutral position, and your legs are rolling outwards, this promotes external rotation contractures (and can also put your outer ankle bones and little pinkie side of your foot at risk for pressure injury).

    (KLD)
    This happens to me on one leg (my hip is broken at the neck of the femur). What should I do about this while sitting on a recliner or sleeping on my back? I am not prone to pressure sores. But contractures are concerning.

  7. #17
    The only time I sleep on my back is when I take a nap. If I have shoes on while lying down, I just tie my shoes together with the laces to get a neutral foot position. Also could tie anything around the shoes to keep them together. I also ensure my hips are in a neutral position.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by juniorsenior View Post
    Could you explain this a little more? What kind of foot protector would maintain this neutral position?
    Here is an example (Sage Prevalon boots, used with the wedges that keep the foot in neutral position):

    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  9. #19
    any example on hip stretch??
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Here is an example (Sage Prevalon boots, used with the wedges that keep the foot in neutral position):

    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  10. #20
    Senior Member Oddity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    2,603
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    any example on hip stretch??
    What works for me is as simple as tucking a pillow under the outside of my hip when lying on my back. Once I correct the hip rotation my leg lies straight. Deeper tuck on the pillow creates more internal rotation, but there is a point where too much tuck defeats the purpose. I dunno if this is clinically sound but seems to have been working well on my right leg for ~10 years.
    "Live your life in such a way that the fear of death can never enter your heart." -Tecumseh.

    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

    "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Similar Threads

  1. How to keep legs together on power chair
    By SKYHAWK in forum Equipment
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-04-2017, 03:00 PM
  2. Keeping my Bouncing legs on my chair????
    By wheelz1989 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 04:16 PM
  3. new chair and legs
    By wheelin 48 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 11:22 AM
  4. Anyone have $99,000.00 laying around.....
    By darkeyed_daisy in forum Life
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2006, 02:36 AM
  5. Legs freezing when laying flat
    By cinci in forum Care
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 02:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •