Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: legs laying on downtubes in chair

legs laying on downtubes in chair

seems as I get older my legs lay on my downtubes more than before, maybe I'm just more sensitive. gets uncomfy. never bothered me b4. anyone else?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

If you mean your legs are spreading out and touching the downtubes, that did gradually happen to me. Went with the cushion inserts that keep your knees together. Makes transferring a little more difficult, but other than that no problems.

I wish most cushions offered adjustable side bolsters on the front corners to control/combat legs splaying. The Jay Active cushion I used years ago had some that were removable, but they weren't as big as I would have liked.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Yes, I have that going on as well. One fix is to wrap something like pipe insulation on the tubes. I use "Armaflex" pipe insulation, comes in various diameters and thickness.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Armaflex...1812/100569382
    Last edited by Rustyjames; 01-02-2018 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Added link

Be careful and find a seating solution that will correct this. I have had clients who developed fibular head pressure injuries (with osteomyelitis) from allowing their upper lower leg to press against the downtubes like this.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Use a velcro strap. Been doing that since the early '80's with no repercussions.

Ditto on the velcro strap. Sportaid will custom make just give them call.

You can make or have a friend who sews make you a nice Velcro strap. I made several for my mother to put around her thighs to remedy this. We used wide elastic (2" wide) and put a loop on the end of the Velcro to make it easier to place. Just be sure that it is not so tight that it doesn't cut off your circulation...

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

That happens to me too. It's not a problem when sitting in the wheelchair with my Ride cushion because the cushion keeps my legs in place. It is a problem when I transfer. My knees tend to move laterally outward and may get caught in the front angle bend of the wheelchair or other parts of furniture or the car. The velcro strap would be helpful. How do you keep the velcro strap in place and prevent it from falling down to your ankles?

Not a problem for me just keep it above my knees