Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question Sweating while sitting in wheelchair

Question Question Sweating while sitting in wheelchair

I've been a quadriplegic due to an SCI in an automotive accident 29 years ago, and I have always found my best results in seating came with the use of a Roho cushion. I was a teenager when initially injured, and never had any issues with seating for many years using my Roho cushions. As the years have gone by and I got older though, I found myself more and more frequently struggling with minor skin irritations due to moisture induced skin damage from the accumulation of sweat on the cushion?s surface. It's not like I'm sitting here profusely sweating all day; it's more of like just the combination of my body warmth on a rubber cushion all day without the ability to properly relieve pressure. Some people call it, for lack of better terminology, swamp ass or monkey butt. Just wondering if there is anyone else who has dealt with this, as well as what you may have tried to rectify the problem. I do have a follow up to this post, but I would really be interested in hearing some responses first.

Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.
    Dragon NaturallySpeaking user.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Shear force occluding blood vessels and AD?

What is squeeze amgle between seat and back?
    Should be less than 90deg.

Back should be reclined so fall back rather than slump forwards.

Look into the Supracore cushion. They breathe better.

supracor and caldescene powder.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Lightbulb Sweating while sitting in wheelchair followup

Several weeks ago, I had made a post asking if anyone had struggled with was moisture control issues from sweating while sitting on their wheelchair cushions. It is an issue that I have suffered with for several years as of late, with nothing working. Recently though, I tried to come up with something that would rectify the issue and I think I may have come up with a mechanical solution. I am posting photos as well to show what I did, but I essentially took an extremely powerful air pump powered by rechargeable batteries and mounted it underneath my seat. Air from the pump leads to tubes that lay at the bottom of the upper surface of my cushion between the bubbles and blows straight up towards my skin. The pump is very quiet and you barely notice that it's on unless you're in an absolutely quiet room, and so far, the results of been fantastic. Just wondering what anyone here thinks about it.

Super Cool (pun intended). Very impressive innovation!!

Consider patenting before someone steals your idea!!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.
    Dragon NaturallySpeaking user.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by bhomis View Post
    I've been a quadriplegic due to an SCI in an automotive accident 29 years ago, and I have always found my best results in seating came with the use of a Roho cushion. I was a teenager when initially injured, and never had any issues with seating for many years using my Roho cushions. As the years have gone by and I got older though, I found myself more and more frequently struggling with minor skin irritations due to moisture induced skin damage from the accumulation of sweat on the cushion?s surface. It's not like I'm sitting here profusely sweating all day; it's more of like just the combination of my body warmth on a rubber cushion all day without the ability to properly relieve pressure. Some people call it, for lack of better terminology, swamp ass or monkey butt. Just wondering if there is anyone else who has dealt with this, as well as what you may have tried to rectify the problem. I do have a follow up to this post, but I would really be interested in hearing some responses first.

If you wear underwear, you might consider a "base layer" type that wicks moisture away from you body. Helly Hansen, Under Armor, Nike, and others make this base layers in cooling to warming fabrics.

Used to be a major problem for me till I got a Ride cover for the Roho. Don't use Roho now but over was great for years.

Great add-on bhomis. I love innovation.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.