Thread: uti ?

uti ?

we clean change the sp cathe but today it would not go in my caregiver had gloves not sterile but golove she had just put on

I had her push it in I meant for her to be about 3 inches up but she pushed the cathe about an inche in front of hole and pushed in

have not had a uti in over 1o0 years should I be worried and when or how soon would I know

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    we clean change the sp cathe but today it would not go in my caregiver had gloves not sterile but golove she had just put on

I had her push it in I meant for her to be about 3 inches up but she pushed the cathe about an inche in front of hole and pushed in

have not had a uti in over 1o0 years should I be worried and when or how soon would I know

thanks
    I guess you mean that her gloved fingers were about an inch from the drainage eyelets of the catheter as she attempted to insert the catheter into the stoma?

Whenever a catheter is changed, there is always a chance of an infection developing. But, I don't think I'd worry too much about it. Keep an eye on the drained urine to check for any changes in color, clarity, odor, and/or volume and may be drink a little extra water. In any case, you really can't start any kind of antibiotic until a bacteria causing an infection is known by having a culture & sensitivity (C&S) urine test. Since you have resisted a urinary tract infection for a long time, your immunity system seems pretty healthy. Hope that serves you well.

That said, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who has been on this site for a while, that I would suggest using Microcyn or HydroCleanse or MicrocynAH. When I have a catheter change, I always follow it up with an instillation of one of these products, retain for about 5-10 minutes and drain. My supra pubic catheter is changed in the morning, followed by an instillation immediately after the change and another (my regular night time instillation) instillation once I am in bed in the evening.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I guess you mean that her gloved fingers were about an inch from the drainage eyelets of the catheter as she attempted to insert the catheter into the stoma?

Whenever a catheter is changed, there is always a chance of an infection developing. But, I don't think I'd worry too much about it. Keep an eye on the drained urine to check for any changes in color, clarity, odor, and/or volume and may be drink a little extra water. In any case, you really can't start any kind of antibiotic until a bacteria causing an infection is known by having a culture & sensitivity (C&S) urine test. Since you have resisted a urinary tract infection for a long time, your immunity system seems pretty healthy. Hope that serves you well.

That said, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who has been on this site for a while, that I would suggest using Microcyn or HydroCleanse or MicrocynAH. When I have a catheter change, I always follow it up with an instillation of one of these products, retain for about 5-10 minutes and drain. My supra pubic catheter is changed in the morning, followed by an instillation immediately after the change and another (my regular night time instillation) instillation once I am in bed in the evening.

Good Luck
    thank you very much yes I am very healthy thank the lord and I try to be be really clean with cathe

There are those who will argue that an indwelling catheter should only be changed with sterile technique. I couldn't agree more in the hospital, clinic or doctor's office. But, clean technique has worked for me for over 7 years, without any infections occurring within a week after a change. NL does use Microcyn products to clean the area as well as povidone wipes. The catheter is placed on a plastic wrap lined plastic tray to lubricate. The lubrication gel tube used is only used for catheter change, not the same tube used for the bowel program. She also uses sterile gloves. I guess her technique is about as close to sterile as you can get without using a sterile catheter change kit.

when i had a foley cath i changed with clean technique as it is almost impossible to change by yourself sterilely i because of this reason and because i had lots of sediment changed every other week however i rarely had UTI's while i was using the foley except when i first had it placed in hospital and ended up with sepsis.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    when i had a foley cath i changed with clean technique as it is almost impossible to change by yourself sterilely i because of this reason and because i had lots of sediment changed every other week however i rarely had UTI's while i was using the foley except when i first had it placed in hospital and ended up with sepsis.
    As is often said, hospital are awful places where germs and bacteria thrive. Avoid hospitals if at all possible.

Home and your own germs are one thing. The hospital and foreign germs are another. While I recommend sterile technique, I understand that for some people clean tecchnique is needed to be done and can be done safely. As long as you use clean technique, and truly keep everything as clean as possible, you should be safe.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.