Thread: Beard Problems??

Question Beard Problems??

Has anyone else encountered problems with their beard after their injury and surgery?

This is the strangest thing, and very painful and annoying.

First of all, I originally had a bald patch in my beard on my chin after I woke up after about two months. The bald spot was about 1" x 2", right below my jaw on my right side. It started to go away after a couple months, and we guessed that this might have been from the collar rubbing (since I did get bed sores at that first original hospital also from lack of moving me around), or from trauma from the injury, since I did have some scabs there on my chin also nearby, however those were also unexplained.

Now on to the serious part, on the opposite side of my neck, on my left side, right below my jaw, I have now what feels like it is an ingrown hair, it is very painful if my beard grows any more than stubble, and sometimes painful even when less than stubble. It is a sort of an itchy pain, which gets worse whenever I am using my jaw and that part of my face, such as when talking a lot or chewing.

It feels like perhaps a sort of nerve pain, however it certainly hundred percent has something to do with my beard, worse when growing out more, feeling like it is an ingrown hair. If it starts to happen, I will have to tense up and clench my neck and face muscles for several seconds until it goes away, otherwise it is too annoying and painful, a sort of itchy annoying unbearable pain. I have had people look to see if they see anything, everyone says no.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

This is a new one for me. I would suggest that you see a dermatologist. They may be able to address this more effectively.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

This was also right near where I had a pick line in on my neck. Perhaps a differing idea of what this could be connected to?

Make more sense maybe?