Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: garage wheelchair ramp vs lift

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    A person can go up three steps in less than a second. I doubt a lift is anywhere near that speed. Even if it is, the lift can be in the lower level when the person is on the upper level, creating even further delay to raise the lift before lowering it. Point is that a ramp is just as fine as stairs for people who can use stairs. A lift is not. Big difference in convenience. But may be a worthwhile compromise.
    Sorry to disagree slightly.
    Before my accident, when in a hurry, I would vault all three steps in what? .3s? And using the onoonethousand twoonethousand, threeonethousand cadence, I could see a normal person climb them in three seconds...............which is probably how long my lift took. Quick! and I didn't back onto it-on and off in near constant forward motion.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Well, I'll take your word on the speed. Regardless, it's a minor difference. Personally, I would prefer the lift over a steep ramp. But there still has to be stair or ramp access in addition to the ramp in order to move large heavy items.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Sorry to disagree slightly.
    Before my accident, when in a hurry, I would vault all three steps in what? .3s? And using the onoonethousand twoonethousand, threeonethousand cadence, I could see a normal person climb them in three seconds...............which is probably how long my lift took. Quick! and I didn't back onto it-on and off in near constant forward motion.
    I think your lift was probably quicker than the newer Naderized ones.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Curious what, if any, options are available for platform lifts as far as operating the lift? Is a small push button typically the only option?

I had a ramp built in the garage in my newest house. Outside in the backyard in my previous.

The ramp in the garage was less than $3000 if I remember correctly. $4500 in the old backyard but I used treated wood and made it all fancy.

The height was 30" to the door in both as well. My garage is 24' wide and I went with a steeper slope because I use a PWC, so no big deal. But it does take up a lot of space, so a lift would probably be my first choice if money wasn't an issue.

I'll attach a pic of the design. The door is located between the stairs and ramp on the right bottom corner.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My lift goes up 36". It's hydraulic and races to the top even after 30t years and absolutely no maintenance; haven't even checked or changed the fluids.

I had it built down at the fishing docks in my small town. The platform was built by a welder there. Back then it was around 900.00 to build. They use the hydraulics to fashion lifts to pull up the big crab pots and laughed when I asked if it would hold my weight. I trust any good welder could fashion one up. A person can buy these and add any length ram needed. There are a couple guys who built pulley lifts with counterbalances. They could go up 2 or three stories with little effort.

I doubt I could go with the faunky electric lifts they build now.

We did a ramp, built by family and friends, main portion is a metal ramp used in building ramps and attached to a wooden base. I did lose a portion of the second stall. It has the ramp to one side and steps on the other, works well for all folks. Its not a ADA ratio for the distance but I can do It in either a power or manual chair. If this is your only exit you could find yourself unable to enter or leave your home. My stair lift failed and bit took them a week to fix. But that just ment I could not go downstairs to do laundry. It too had a battery back up, but that means nothing if the lift fails.

Quote Originally Posted by flex View Post
    We are modifying our existing home to accommodate my power chair and me. Currently there are no easy ways in/out of the house. The plan is for me to enter/exit through the garage. Ramp vs. lift? The door into the house is 30" above the garage floor. We've had 2 quotes for ramps, both around $5000.00 - amramp system and one built from wood. Both ramp plans require using about 1/2 of the 2-car garage. A lift would take less space. Looking for pros/cons for each approach. Thank you!
    Go with ramp. Hands down. lifts - while perhaps not often - break down / or power failures and then you are stuck. ADA calls for 1' length for every 1" of rise. That is overkill IMHO for a powerchair user. 6 to 8 feet with a flat platform at door big enough for you to stop/rest/turn should be ezpz. You still won't be able to park 2 cars in garage but ample room for w/c van lift w/ ramp.

No doubt a ramp is preferable. A lift, like any other mechanical device can fail, and when it does it's usually at the worst time.