Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: garage wheelchair ramp vs lift

This definitely competes with your 5k ramp. If they will deliver it, plug it in.
    http://www.discountmobilityplus.com/...SABEgJMDvD_BwE
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by flex View Post
    Re power lift: Just starting to look at lifts. I am concerned about used lifts without a warranty.
    I can say that particular lift model is good. Only issues so far with mine over the last 15 years were the main load bearing for the cab (unit was shipped and ran with just the packing grease on the bearing, until it ate itself). The bearing itself is like $20, also used as a wheel bearing application for a Land Rover of all things, lol. Then some chaffed wires going to the cab, burning out the power supply for the relays, after I tin-foiled the fuse (I'm a hack at times). Generic power supply was like $30, and some creative re-wiring. Use AeroShell aircraft cold-rated grease on the acme screw and bearings when you do finally maintain it, otherwise it will cease to function below 10F if using automotive chassis grease. But other than that, the electronics package is good, the motor is a quality unit, and I think getting used and basic mechanical skills will prove economical

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Those porch lifts aren't the easiest things to move around, that's for sure. There's a safety contact plate on the bottom of the carriage with a bunch of micro switches mounted under it, so care must be taken not to destroy them in the moving process.
    Heh, no kidding. Annoying when snow blows under it too. I bypassed that whole annoyance

^^^that's what I did on my lift too, by-passed that safety feature.

I built a lift with something like this, a friend of mine gave it to me. Just had to make a larger deck to accomidate the size of the chair, and a small ramp to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I wanted it, but NJ is too far.
    There is a Ricon north of here. I don't know if it is good or not looking at his pictures,
    https://skagit.craigslist.org/for/d/...416418135.html
    but that style if it has enough drop might work. However without being able to attach it at the top as you did, I don't see it being a candidate. Also yours looks like it has more headroom, not that we need headroom. I never figured out your pictures. That one ram controls both sides without it getting stuck? And the ram rod doesn't look long enough to match the distance between floors. I'm only asking because I've always thought van lifts were the perfect solution for garage to house lifts since they take up almost no floor space anywhere and as you say run on an 12v battery with a trickle charge.
    It's a backwards block and tackle. The end of the piston has a double row roller chain sprocket. The ends of the chains are tagged/stationary, and the two chains go to their respective sides and down (over rollers at the top corners) into the telescoping sides. The key is that by running the chains over the piston head/sprockets, the travel is doubled. This is how I remember it from looking up into the cover. Seems it would also need to have a low sprocket pair to make the 180* turn to head back up to the top but I have no recollection.
    I think pop top campers use a similar setup but backwards so it's easier to crank but more cranking to erect the roof.

Re attachment: I tagged two small metal plates at both sides/bottom that supported the lift to the (upper) floor. There were single holes in each with a 5/16" lag bolt into the wood.
    At the right/top, I tabbed it and secured with a long threaded bolt.
    I was sure that this wouldn't be sufficient, that the frame would twist in torsion with my fat ass and the carriage cantilevered so, but to my surprise it didn't move at all!

AFAIKR, it was a Braun lift. I bought it in 96 and it was already old. Converting it to this use was incredibly simple actually: tack a couple of stops under the deck so it only folded down 90*; drill and weld on 3 mounting plates; install with 3 bolts.
    The biggest task maybe was running the hydraulic tubing and flaring the ends/connecting the pump unit (which is identical to the ones we used to see on Jeep snowplows). Get some 3 wire (droplight) cable to extend the control switch wiring to the pump in the basement, and done. Of course, in a garage installation, all this stuff would be right by the lift, no need to get creative!
    Last edited by pfcs49; 12-31-2017 at 02:15 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Thank you all for the info. We will likely get a lift. This week, we have 2 lift providers coming out to the house to evaluate our needs. One has a used 2015 lift.

I would personally do a lift to save space despite the fact your powerchair can do a ramp

The lift is the way to go. Just know that it is slow which can be annoying for people who can walk especially for multiple trips.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    The lift is the way to go. Just know that it is slow which can be annoying for people who can walk especially for multiple trips.
    the Braun 12V van lift was very quick. Almost as fast as climbing the three steps is for the abled. When I ran my business, I ran (myself) full throttle; people on foot got in the way!
    I never felt the lift wasn't quick enough.

Wait! Actually, there's a restrictor in the funny fitting at the lift hydraulics that slows the descent. Down wasn't that fast. I often thought I should open it up and enlarge it to dump the lift faster but it wasn't too bad, so never bothered in 20+ years.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

A person can go up three steps in less than a second. I doubt a lift is anywhere near that speed. Even if it is, the lift can be in the lower level when the person is on the upper level, creating even further delay to raise the lift before lowering it. Point is that a ramp is just as fine as stairs for people who can use stairs. A lift is not. Big difference in convenience. But may be a worthwhile compromise.